“Today, in our field, there is so much talent and recognition that we are reaching a saturation point. An artist should no longer strive only for breathtaking craftsmanship; he should, instead, try to help us live better, either by dressing the wounds that are constantly being opened by society, or by offering solutions to get us out of the mess we’re in…But it’s going to be difficult and we have a lot of work to do.” - Jean 'Moebius' Giraud

Thursday, June 11, 2009

RED RIDING HOOD_color


This is the last update this week because work beckons. But I wanted to post the second image set to be made as a print for the upcoming convention in a couple of weeks.

You know what I like best about the Little Red Riding Hood story? It's when the Wolf, at the pinnacle of his guile, he decides to kill Red's grandmother and puts on the departed's clothes in order to trick the little girl into thinking that all is well; that it's all business as usual. The suddenly *BAM!* - he pounces on her after she disrespects his eyes, nose, and teeth.

"The better to eat you with, my dear! RAAAAAR!"

Anyway, I like that part the best because the stupid girl let it get that far.

See, I have dog a named 'Chuck' and on occasion my ex used to put a sweater on him - a sweater that looked strangely like something my uncle used to wear. And in those instances I never once looked at Chuck and thought, "Geez, my uncle is over at the house a lot, just hanging out and pooping on the back yard lawn. I wonder if he's okay?" Then Chuck jumps up and kicks me in the groin. That's never happened.

That little girl deserved to be eaten, I tell you. She deserves to be eaten because that's how natural selection works. Like King Mufasa said to Simba: "Like sands through the hour glass...these are the days of our lives."

Ah, non sequitur - how I love thy color of rainy pants uncanny.

13 comments:

Maurice said...

This is a good one. Much preferred over the last version.

Bade said...

Hi... really interesting version.
Uffff! thanks a lot by returning to your blog!
you frightened me with the disappearance of the blog
welcome back!

sorry for my bad english
greetings eric

Tom said...

Wow, the colors look great!

John 'Roc' Upchurch said...

f'n gorgeous. she does your line-work justice.

RAWLS said...

Except, the Woodsman then comes along and kills the wolf... and somehow removes Red AND her grandma, who obviously must have been swallowed whole and been impervious to the wolf's stomach acids.

Borch said...

Great piece...i like the basket color an ink-line!!

I love your art.
Thanks Mr Eric ^_^

Quini said...

q guapa la ilustracion de caperucita, mola tu version

Lauren said...

Hey, if you've got enough, set a couple of those prints aside for me, will ya. The snow white and the red riding hood. I've got money, I can pay!

Brian Lue Sang said...

LOL - funny post, Eric. Great to see you're back and posting pretty regularly too!

Joshua James said...

glad to see you back.. nice new works.

Irma Ahmed / Aimo said...

Really glad to see you're back online :) Hope things are well.

Love the new artworks you've been posting. Please say you'll be at SDCC this year with the prints and more!

Dennis Wright said...

Its funny how it just hit me. but your colouring has REALLY improved over the years. It was always pretty good but now it really compliments the linework.

William said...

It was sweet to be able to get a copy of this. Hope you enjoyed Heroes-Con. Would love to see you again next year.