“Today, in our field, there is so much talent and recognition that we are reaching a saturation point. An artist should no longer strive only for breathtaking craftsmanship; he should, instead, try to help us live better, either by dressing the wounds that are constantly being opened by society, or by offering solutions to get us out of the mess we’re in…But it’s going to be difficult and we have a lot of work to do.” - Jean 'Moebius' Giraud

Tuesday, June 09, 2009

BAS-RELIEF_commission


Who knew this type of sculpture had a specific name? BAS-RELIEF, friends - (pronounced bah-relief) from the French term meaning "low relief" - which in turn is derived from the Italian "basso rilievo".

Yes, yes... the image technically isn't bas-relief-ey, but you guys get the idea. I also wanted to sound a whole lot smarter than I really am. Which I'm not. I'm the kid in class who pronounced "hors d'oeuvres" as "horse devours" when I was in elementary school. The kids all laughed when my teacher corrected me

Well, who's laughing now, elementary school?! I got a f*ckin BLOG! Haha! Suck it! Haha, again! No one else has a blog! Only exclusive people who have tons of money and connections in the highest offi... whuzzat? Uhm... just about anyone can get a blog? Just sign up and voila!: you've got a blog? You don't even need anything important to say and you can get one of these bad boys? Sacrebleu!

Hehe. There you go, mon ami. Impressed? You shouldn't be. All the French I know I learned from the crazy-eyed French cook who was tyring to kill Sebastian in the Little Mermaid movie. That, and also because I'm an idiot. And I apologize ahead of time to the kind folks from France reading this blog. Please don't tell your people about what an absolute moron I am. I'd like to visit your country one day and I don't want to be flambe.

Wow... that last one I didn't even plan. I'm seriously an idiot.

Oh, the image is Wonder Woman breaking out of a statue and freaking the hell out of the sculptor. Enjoy.

10 comments:

OXOTHUK said...

Im not so good in english but I'm just awesomely glad that this blog is returned after all months of sad waitings. Aand all this goddamn great pictures! Yeeeeah!

Moozoom said...

Don't be afraid to be flambé, we french people only put fire to untalented people or sometimes to young pucelles that are hearing voices in their heads...

As you are very talentueux, this should not be a problem...

tortugamarina said...

The candle in beauty and the beast was also a great teacher XD
..I'm still laughing XDD

Tom said...

Nice sketch, hilarious text, can't ask for more than that.

marco's blog said...

i think i enjoy your comments as much as the beautiful drawings!

RAWLS said...

Nice one.

Luciano said...

I don´t really know enough words of english to describe haow much I apreciatte your work, and the way it makes me feel.
You are great, man! just want you to know that.

You are more than welcome to see my stuff... In fact, it would be an honor.

naomiful said...

I took a semester of french in 8th grade

I'm deeply insulted >:O

jk, wonder woman looks smexy here, nice one

Reynes said...

I'm glad to see you back. You and your inspiring work.
:)

Brian said...

First, I think this is one of the best pieces you've ever done. I love it.

As for your Bas-Relief problem, don't feel bad, I was informed I was pronouncing it incorrectly during my junior year in college by the Professor leading the Rodin seminar I was taking. Talk about embarrassing.