“Today, in our field, there is so much talent and recognition that we are reaching a saturation point. An artist should no longer strive only for breathtaking craftsmanship; he should, instead, try to help us live better, either by dressing the wounds that are constantly being opened by society, or by offering solutions to get us out of the mess we’re in…But it’s going to be difficult and we have a lot of work to do.” - Jean 'Moebius' Giraud

Wednesday, February 11, 2009

LEAGUE OF EXTRAORDINARY ADSIT_update


I *would* update with pictures from the NYCC show, but I took a total of ten or eleven pictures the entire trip with my camera. And four of them were of me, Jon, DUSTIN NGUYEN, and DEREK FRIDOLFS at the airport. It's not at all interesting, I assure you.

What is interesting was the fact that I got to meet actor, comedian and 2009 SAG award winner for Best Outstanding Performance in a Comedy Series (30 Rock) SCOTT ADSIT.

We were introduced and I told him how much of a fan I was of the series he was a part of, what a funny guy he is, and how amazing his timing is. His character doesn't get a ton of screen time, but when he's on, he can be the best straight man of the whole cast of clowns that is 30 Rock. He asked if I could draw in his "League of Extraordinary Gentlemen" themed sketchbook - a sketchbook which that already had three images in it when he gave it to me: one by MARK BROOKS, another by STEPHAN ROUX, and a third by TIM SALE.

It should go without saying that the three extraordinary gentlemen drew like the badasses they are, so I couldn't just do a head sketch. Damn them. And besides all of that, Mr. Adsit gave me such glowing compliments regarding my work, I couldn't imagine not delivering a good one. This image was my contribution. I'm not sure if it lived up to expectations, but there it is.

Markers and brush pen. No faces. And a red rose as part of the theme of black, white, and red accented images that was in the book thus far. It's a bit on the blurry side - the picture was taken with an iPhone, but you get the jist of it... I hope.

Oh! I got some sketches from people I met there too! UGH! I am so excited to post them! More than *ANYTHING* from that show, I will remember my conversations with these new friends the most. I am grateful for the time they spent with me. I'll thank them later in another post.

Have a great week, everyone.

14 comments:

Michael Pfeffer said...

I really love how you drew Mina and all the little details are just great.

Many Kudos to your faceless drawing.

Tom said...

Awesome piece! I don't watch 30 Rock but from all the good things I hear it seems I should.

Alina Chau said...

Beautiful!

Chrispy said...

YIKES! I saw you doing this one, and i almost stole it from under your pen, lol. Really nice, and original in the execution. Was great meeting you man, and having some nice conversation, looking forward to doing it again, PEACE!

chris chUa! said...

that's really cool. I dig the no faces idea a lot. at first I thought Hyde's shoulder was something else...heh.

I met Scott Adsit last year at the same con as well, such a cool down to earth guy. he asked me to draw Hyde from League.

Clopsybot said...

my oh my this is good. i love your tonal use in the background.

Mimi Cortazar said...

Very nice :)

RLS said...

Eric, it was really cool meeting you at NYCC. Chatting with you about comics and comic art was one of the highlights of the con.

BTW the piece looks amazing. Beautiful composition as always.

Brian said...

I met Scott at the show last year as well. I thought he was a very cool guy then and knowing now that he collects sketches, let alone with a League of Extraordinary Gentlemen theme, only increases the cool factor.

RAWLS said...

I always love yer negative space work! Nice job man.

Scott said...

This thing is drop dead amazing. From the intricate design on Quatermain's gun to the detail of Nemo's coattails to each hair on Hyde's hide, it never stops offering something new each time I look at it. Thank you, Eric!

And I gotta say Chua's Hyde is visceral and frightening. Pure emotion. It's one of my favorite pieces ever, Chris.

Adsit

AlexTuis said...

Have a great week too!

I really appreciate your "fantasy style". I wouldlove to see more ghost or creepy things from you.

Miguel said...

I saw this piece in person at NYCC while getting a sketch from Dustin Nguyen... it really blew me away.

Great work Eric! Are you still doing commissions?

Miguel said...

Saw this in person at NYCC while getting a sketch from Dustin Nguyen... so amazing!

Thanks for posting this, Eric! Btw, are you still doing commissions?