“Today, in our field, there is so much talent and recognition that we are reaching a saturation point. An artist should no longer strive only for breathtaking craftsmanship; he should, instead, try to help us live better, either by dressing the wounds that are constantly being opened by society, or by offering solutions to get us out of the mess we’re in…But it’s going to be difficult and we have a lot of work to do.” - Jean 'Moebius' Giraud

Wednesday, December 31, 2008

THANK YOU_commission


It's been a while since one of these.

It's because I'm tired. I'm typically drained towards the end of the year, but this year I am particularly so, but I hope you don't mind if I don't go into details. Let's just say that it's too much life stuff, too much doing the things that you don't really want to do, too many tough choices. You know what I'm talking about, yeah? Point being, I'm tired and I don't know how soon I won't be that way. So I think I will sleep for days and days and see if that helps. Heh.

Anyway, no more posts from me for a while. Though I think Jon will take up the guard and post in my stead - he seems to be doing a fine job while I was gone; even if in his douche-bagerry, he decided to post the ugly unfinished stuff. But I believe he does it because he knows what people like to see. And for that, I am truly grateful. I'm sure he'll update this once in a while. I will be back of course. I can't NOT draw and there's something about sharing it with like-minded people that really makes me happy.

And speaking of being grateful and happy, I'd like to thank you for taking the time to get to know me as much as you can though this little window. Thanks for coming in and sharing your inspiration with me and for saying such generous and humbling comments about my work. On more than one occasion I've been a bit distracted, but one kind word from you is all I needed to get me back to center. You are invaluable, you are amazing, and I cannot wait to see what you are capable of. I am humbled and grander to have had this experience.

Grazie.

I hope you have a great new year. It's a perfect time for a fresh start. I hope you finish what you begin and I hope you find everything you are looking for. As for me, it's time to sleep and not be so tired.

Well, no. It's 6:56AM in Los Angeles. I'm going to go run. Then...then I will sleep. Heh.


Thanks again. "You are so cool."

14 comments:

andy kuhn said...

beautiful as usual, eric.
get some rest, you deserve it.

RAWLS said...

Do what you gotta do man. Just know that a lot of us artists feel the same way many times. Someone once gave me some good advice and it's helped me many many times ... 'A change is as good as a rest.'
All in all, your work is always inspiring my friend. I hope you and Jon and your families have a wonderful new year and may 2009 be full of creative juice for all of us!

Fabian said...

Great lines!! So much life in this one!, so much movement!
Happy New Year for you and your love ones!!

m3ng said...

Thanks for letting us get to know you a little better thru this blog. Love your work!

Illink said...

It's been a pleasure Eric, enjoyed the work you shared, very inspiring. It was also a pleasure to meet you at Scad. Good luck catching up on your sleep dude, I'm sure you deserve it. HAPPY NEW YEARS!

Darnell

Brian said...

As usual, your eye and composition blow my mind.

Thanks for posting and sharing with us, it is always a treat to get to watch the creative process of an artist I admire and enjoy.

Rest and recharge for tomorrow we all start anew.

The Black Samurai said...

Get all of the rest you need! This year has been a tough one for me as well. Both physically and emotionally! You will come back even stronger in 2009! Happy New Year!

Josh said...

Boy do I know what you mean. Who knew that you can cause yourself more pain with stress. I got shingles and finally getting over it.

Get your rest, get some perspective as a whole and have some fun.

Your work is always inspirational and I will always love it. Never stop being the artist you are, my friend. I like to consider you a friend, because I have really got to know you as a person on this blog and hopefully we'll meet in person some day.

Thanks for being so great! Happy New Year!

TMALO70 said...

Eric,

Thanks for Sharin' Your Art, Your Views, and what You can of Yourself... I Hope You're able to get the Rest You need, and the Energy to come back even Stronger than before... We will all be here when You get back...

Take care,

Tony Maldonado

Pop-Monkey said...

Eric, your and your work have been a great inspiration to me this past year. I've been dumbfounded by how harsh a critic you can be to yourself, at times, but I know where you're coming from as I never seem to be totally satisfied with any of my output either. Still, your work is amazing to me and I hope you find what you need to continue to better yourself in the new year and to ease your weariness.

Best wishes to you.

gdeo said...

My brother..you are a true inspiration! I hope that we get a chance to chat it up again,soon!take care of yourself...may this new year bring you happiness and prosperity!

Space Station Orbiter: Cloud 99 said...

Thank you very much for the inspiration Eric. I wouldn't have my own blog without you blazing the trail.

pablo pablo said...

Beautiful scene!
Happy new year!

H├ęctor Barros said...

Ive been following your blog for a while, but Ive never wrote you before...

you have an awesome, personal style (and this is hard enough to find nowadays)


I´d really love to color to one of your drawings :S

mr-machen.deviantart.com

Regards from Spain