“Today, in our field, there is so much talent and recognition that we are reaching a saturation point. An artist should no longer strive only for breathtaking craftsmanship; he should, instead, try to help us live better, either by dressing the wounds that are constantly being opened by society, or by offering solutions to get us out of the mess we’re in…But it’s going to be difficult and we have a lot of work to do.” - Jean 'Moebius' Giraud

Monday, December 29, 2008

EXAMPLE OF MADNESS_update


Here's a perfect example of what I wrote about in that earlier post. This is a side by side comparison of a 'Watchmen' image Eric did as a 90 minute exercise. The one on the right in the one he's already posted. The one on the left is the one he finished but didn't make the cut. Here's why:
"The first one's already a pretty tough image to make out, yeah? It's a reflection of the main characters, in the blood that's oozing out of The Comedian's head... bits of his brain and whatever. Then there's the pattern of blood and the splatter and the arrangement of the characters... they're all upside-down and all over the place... and the abstract building window patterns behind them. It's WAY too much.

It's just so f*cking annoying to sign my signature and realize I just wasted 90 minutes. Just genuinely annoying to think I didn't think about it enough and I got as far as putting my signature on it... and it SUUUUUUUCKSSS. With this one, I think the planning was either bad or just too ambitious. Or both. Whatever.

So I just redrew it. The second time is a bit simpler, but just slightly so. At least, by way of composition, all the heads of the characters sort of line up. You start from The Comedian's face and just move to the left through the reflection, starting with Rorschach's mask. I was also playing around with a narrative by having The Comedian's finger point to Ozymandias; the guy who killed him.

I dunno... it just feels better to me. It's still confusing as hell, but I think it's less noisy the second time around.

Like I said, it may have been too ambitious."
90 minutes. Twice finished. And where was the first original when I found it? You guessed it. On the floor. Near the trash can.

Madness.

-Jon

6 comments:

Craig Zablo said...

Beautiful madness...

aris said...

Those are both pretty damn amazing. Your style and designs are awesome to behold.

colin said...

It's not madness, really; Eric is right. The second image is much better, for the reasons he gave. (The first image isn't all that bad, but you have to admire the ability to recognize that he can do better, and sit down and do it again instead of giving up.)

Dylan McCrae said...

Second image is definitely the more solid of the two. I love it. Its begging for color though. Any chance of someone like myself taking a shot at colors?

Rubens Bernardino da Silva - RB SILVA said...

You're the man!!

arnie said...

Eric's right.

peace out