“Today, in our field, there is so much talent and recognition that we are reaching a saturation point. An artist should no longer strive only for breathtaking craftsmanship; he should, instead, try to help us live better, either by dressing the wounds that are constantly being opened by society, or by offering solutions to get us out of the mess we’re in…But it’s going to be difficult and we have a lot of work to do.” - Jean 'Moebius' Giraud

Thursday, August 28, 2008

MADMEN_90 minutes


More 'Dark Knight' as requested by ERIC JIMINEZ and his COMPATRIOTS.

He asked if I could stay in the Batman frame of mind after my previous post and after visiting their Dark Knight tribute blog, I thought it'd be fun to have a say. But as most memorable and obvious scenes in the movie were already spoken for, I was at a loss as to what to do. So I decided to take on this little ditty - I thought it'd be a great exercise in how to render something in black and white (Batman and the Batpod, both being completely matte black, are practically silhouettes throughout the entire chase and showdown) and still have it be semi-legible, and also how to represent speed in a still image (they're zipping around at full-tilt speeds though Gotham - especially when he tries to run down The Joker after the semi flips over).

So I thought, "Well... that seems easy enough." Heh.

Then I start to draw the thing and I think, "Crimeny! This is a lot tougher than I thought!" That and because of the angle I chose and the compostion, I had to draw Batman's butt sticking up into the air. That's just bad planning, man! This one took less than 90 because I didn't have to render too many elements - just a ton of black areas. The only hold up was the fact that I had to find reference on the Batpod.

Speaking of which, have you guys seen the thing running? I somehow remember seeing clips of it zooming about with a guy in a red and white jumpsuit riding it. Point being, the sucker works! How awesome is that?!

23 comments:

DAN-VAN-COOL said...

Image has got speed man!
Its wicked as always but damn, it looks fast.

Best
D

Josh said...

Hi Eric

Been checking your blog for some time now and loving it. Totally dig these Batman images. Your inking is really organic and fun.

Glad to see so many images this week!

-Josh

RAWLS said...

Awesome indeed man!! Great angle on the bat butt..I mean bat bike.

Joern said...

The perspective is spectacular! Great.

Michael said...

Awesome man. Always love checkin out yer sketches.

Greg said...

Wow, that angle is intense!! Great work!

Omar "OX" Rodriguez said...

You are so amazing.

Eddy said...

Keep 'em coming, man!

You're killing it!

-Eddy

axel#13 said...

Dude, this Batman piece is awesome!

jason s said...

Great stuff man.

Illink said...

Hey Eric Darnell this piece is sick love the angle. You’re inking add so much to the dynamic look of the whole piece. I’ve had the pleasure to see you throw down pencil to paper at SCAD and I remember how you like to let some white spots to bring life to those areas of massive black.

j_ay said...

I still have no desire to see the flick, but hot damn that's a badass drawing!

Fabian said...

OH_MY-GOD! I take about 3 hours to make my simple drawings... your work is beyond amazing! Instant linked!

Abrazos from Mexico,
Your friend, Fabian!

Guillermo P. Mogorrón said...

Nice one, specially after what you tell. It's hard to keep on a drawing that shows a tough face when you start at it.

Clopsybot said...

Damn Canete. You chose an uber awkward and difficult shot and made it look effing perfect. ...kinda makes me want to cry...

Puly said...

You are bloody amazing mate!!!! please, please, please, do the joker, I am sure that is going to be fucking awesome!!! please, please, do the joker!!

VHS said...

Won't find me complaining about a Batman "butt shot". Then again, I might not be the majority....

azhar said...

superb!

still study and use your artwrk as my reference...

me trying hard to be as good as you master Eric..

Romain Ronzeau said...

The dynamic of this drawing is plain incredible. Fantastic work.

Rui Sousa said...

Fantastic, just amazing work!



Rui Sousa (O temporário)
www.ruisousaartworks.blogspot.com

evan said...

Love the composition and the action! Great work!

evan said...

Love the composition and movement! Great work!

suedemonkey said...

wow! its so amazing how this whole image looks like its moving so fast! wow!

great as always!

by the way, added you on my links. hope you dont mind!