“Today, in our field, there is so much talent and recognition that we are reaching a saturation point. An artist should no longer strive only for breathtaking craftsmanship; he should, instead, try to help us live better, either by dressing the wounds that are constantly being opened by society, or by offering solutions to get us out of the mess we’re in…But it’s going to be difficult and we have a lot of work to do.” - Jean 'Moebius' Giraud

Tuesday, July 29, 2008

"...BOGEY AT 12 O'CLOCK!"_commission


Dave, sorry I couldn't get this to you at the show. I damn near redrew it all over again today. But after stepping away for lunch, I came back and realized it was okay. Heh. I'll get it to you the next time we meet up, man. Thanks for the patience and understanding.

This is as detailed and 'tech-y' an Iron Man that I'll ever do. I don't know what came over me - I put down one little seam and the next thing you know there's twenty little seams. And a bolt. And and a plate and so on and so on. Ugh. Remind me to never get this ambitious again.

Speaking of detailed and ambitious - has anyone seen the new Toppi book that just came out? Stewart Ng was selling it at his booth this year at SDCC and the thing is ridiculously good. I mean, grandmaster-ly good. I have so much more to learn.

And steal from. Heh.

Oh! I'll give you guys a run down on all the cool shwag (well... cool to me, anyway) I bought/got at this year's show in a little bit. See you tomorrow.

23 comments:

axel#13 said...

Damn, this piece is beautiful!

RAWLS said...

Drool.
Thats a sick pic dude.

=shane white= said...

Yay-eah...and supersized to boot!

Loe the one below as well.


=s=

WILFREDO TORRES said...

Man, that's ****ing awesome. Your sense of design and composition is what makes you one of the best Artist's out there right now.

Declan Shalvey said...

I both love and hate this blog.

I love it cuz your work is just fantastic and an inspiration.

I hate it because it reminds me how CRAP my work is........ Sigh.

Nevertheless, i'll keep checking it to give myself the kick in the arse i need.

Keep up the great work,

Dec.

Fogger said...

Awesome! That is hands down the coolest Iron Man I've seen in a long time! I'm insanely jealous of whoever got this. The composition and angle are just great!

Barry said...

Man, this just kicks ass! Your work reminds me to get going on my own art outside of the office. Thanks!

aris said...

Love the design and your unique style. always blows the doors off of expectations.

wow.

Skotti said...

Seriously sexy.

DAN-VAN-COOL said...

Exellent Framing with the cockpit! Kick ass dude.

I really get the sence of speed.

Can I color This one?

Craig Zablo said...

What Axel13 said!

shou' said...

Cool. Very dynamic!

Dave said...

WOW amazing layout- Killin it Man!!!

Clopsybot said...

This blog gives me the art fix I need. Great piece.

azhar said...

whaaaaa..

you always amaze me wth yer angle,,my master..

just finished reading your comic in the comicbook tatoo anthology..

order n buy the book just to see your latest masterpiece (while waitng fr End league)... it cost my malaysian currency..RM102..to buy d book

love the wide angle..

i want more!

evan said...

Nice! I love your work! And, awesome description under your pic. Its upsetting(in a "Damn! Am I that old?" way) that a lot of "todays" artists don't understand what that is. Favorite weapon: spreader.

Daniel Duche said...

tu estilo es increible!!! igual que la composicion en tus comics!!! Mucha suerte con todos tus proyectos. Saludos desde Argentina!

vjarumugam said...

dynamism, spontaneity, cool gestures and a cool style. awesome!

Andre Szymanowicz said...

Wow what a unique and sweet looking shot!!

ANX said...

I love this piece man. Not just for the quality of the Iron Man there, but also the use of negative space to define the cockpit. Brilliant stroke there.

And it was definitely great meeting you the other night. I'll keep you posted on what's coming up next con-wise as well!

Brian said...

That Iron Man Rocks.

As exciting to look at as the movie.

roger bonet said...

It is a great illustration, I like much the composition, Congratulations for your great work.

j_ay said...

That's a damn amazing drawing, sir.