“Today, in our field, there is so much talent and recognition that we are reaching a saturation point. An artist should no longer strive only for breathtaking craftsmanship; he should, instead, try to help us live better, either by dressing the wounds that are constantly being opened by society, or by offering solutions to get us out of the mess we’re in…But it’s going to be difficult and we have a lot of work to do.” - Jean 'Moebius' Giraud

Tuesday, June 24, 2008

THUNDER GOD_90 minutes


"Cross the Rainbow Bridge of Asgard,

Where the booming heavens roar,
You'll behold in breathless wonder
The God Of Thunder, Mighty Thor!"

That's the theme song to the THOR CARTOON from the late 60's. Murakami said that this image reminded him of a FRANK FRAZETTA image called "FROST GIANTS" used by a 70's band called MOLLY HATCHET. I was mostly trying to channel WALT SIMONSON when he was doing THOR in the 80's. Man, I'm spanning three decades with this post. That's me - bringing you the hits from the 60's, 70's and the 80's.

BTW, remember when I said I'd be back in a month to post a new image?


I lied.


17 comments:

Odon said...

Awesome Man! Hope to see a book of your sketches someday.

DAN-VAN-COOL said...

This is killer dude. My favorite pic you have done, and I dig all your work.
Speaking of themes for Thor, Youtube "Therion - Thor" Its an awesome metal song for Thor. Pretty in its own way too. :D

Awesome dude!

Guillermo P. Mogorrón said...

E
P
I
C!

Phil said...

That is one gnarly Thor! Awesome.

Shawn Crystal said...

Well, damn, that simply AMAZING.

Kyu Shim said...

Frickin' awesome.

[a] said...

lol

Craig Zablo said...

Just another reason you were worth the wait!

Brian said...

Love your take on the Mjolnir and who doesn't like kicking Frost Giant arse.

sami in chains said...

I am getting hooked to your artwork... you come up with something brilliant everytime!Just gimme a hint... how do you get the picture so clear in your head... hail Canete!

gdeo said...

bad ass,eric..bad ass!great job,man

C.B. Canga said...

awesome work here.

rico said...

Yeah, that Simonson run was something else huh? This is mighty!

RLS said...

Oh, how I wish you were drawing Thor. I mean, Coipiel is good and all but you truly draw a Thor that's noble yet barbaric. Epic.
I love that hammer design.

mig said...

Mjolnir looks like it can crush the foundations of existence and then have enough power left over to light a christmas tree. Shooot.

I just bought yer Iron Man Enter the Mandarin book, its on its way... GO UPS GO UPS!!!

Christian said...

Fucking amazing.

And:

I could avoid, just narrowly, hearing Reign in Blood (thanks to this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZMitisDbzQ) whenever I see Thor, but then Fraction had to go and make it cannon with his latest Thor one-shots. Damn him.

rory said...

Fantastic image! Big fan of Simonson's Thor run and Frazetta so this is a win/win! Glad to see Remender's not keeping you so busy you can't throw some scribbles down now and again :)