“Today, in our field, there is so much talent and recognition that we are reaching a saturation point. An artist should no longer strive only for breathtaking craftsmanship; he should, instead, try to help us live better, either by dressing the wounds that are constantly being opened by society, or by offering solutions to get us out of the mess we’re in…But it’s going to be difficult and we have a lot of work to do.” - Jean 'Moebius' Giraud

Wednesday, June 25, 2008

"SLAM EVIL."_90 minutes


Yeah, the movie wasn't really all that, but it had bad-ass Billy Zane and a pre-Zorro Catherine Zeta Jones in it. So, it can't be all that bad. Or maybe it *is* bad, but I give it a pass because I loves me them old school characters. Yeah okay, it's bad. But if they can resurrect the Hulk franchise....maybe.

So I'm posting a bit late in the day because I haven't been sleeping well. I've got this wisdom tooth that has a crater of a cavity in it. It's huge, folks - I can store secret, micro-documents in there were I a spy (and whose to say that I'm not?) and it looks like someone dropped a spot of Alien blood on my tooth and the acid just ate its way all the way to my jaw. Anyhoo... it's done nothing but throb every hour on the hour for the past couple of nights with such ferocity that it numbs my entire face. Last night's episode was so bad that I wish that THE PHANTOM would punch me in the jaw to knock the damn tooth out.

Speaking of episodes and knocking people out, the past few weeks, (and the last couple of nights) all I've been doing is listening to a podcast station called SIDEBAR NATION. The place is run by a pair of really entertaining and enthusiastic gentlemen named DWIGHT CLARK and SWAIN HUNT, both of whom I've had the pleasure of meeting in person at this year's SCAD event in Atlanta. They dropped me a line after the show and asked if they could interview me for a segment. I agreed, but then in a panicked state, went to their blog and crossed my fingers that I just didn't agree to do an interview with a couple of crazies. I am proud to say that the fellas are anything but - they're fans of comics and pop culture, blatantly crass and funny (they respectfully told me that they'd take my lead as to how many F-Bombs I wanted to drop during our segment) and they do their research before their guests get on the air. Like I said, I was praying like crazy that it wasn't going to be like,
"Uh... remember when you drew 'Satanika' for Danzig's VEROTIK books?? You know...with the devil horns and tits? Remember that? Heh-heh-heh-heh-huhuhhuh....that was cool, man."

That would've been worst case scenario. The best case scenario was what actually happened. Dwight and Swain were class acts, they took it easy on me and I had a blast laughing it up with them for the duration of the show. And I'm not the only one, either. Visit their website, check out the roster of people they've had and you'll realize they're creating for themselves a very vaunted and elite guest list. I wanted to drop a line here to tell them, "Thanks!" and to tell all of you who visit this blog to go and check them out.

My personal favorites thus far are the ones with BRIAN STELFREEZE, KEVIN NOWLAN, MARK CHIARELLO and the two-parter with SKOTTIE YOUNG. Skottie cracks me up and makes me mad coz he's raw, insanely talented and has always been as nice a fellow as you will ever meet in this industry; which makes it very difficult to hate on him for anything. And any guy who can go at length about how he wants to respectfully tranq me isn't all that bad. Go listen to the shows - you won't be disappointed. I'm gonna listen to the Jason Pearson one next.

Okay... now where did I put that drill?

13 comments:

RLS said...

The Phantom is cool and bad ass but I think I know the one thing that's keeping him from reaching Superman or Batman-level success: stripey trunks. That thing's like his kryptonite!

I like Sidebar a lot 'cause it's the only comics podcast that I know of that is artist-centric. Dwight and Swain really know much of what they're talking about too, which is nice. I pretty much like all of the episodes but the Nowlan, Dave Johnson, and the Quitely episodes have been my favourites so far.

Great pic, btw. :)

sami in chains said...

Man! You sure are the dark God of black ink (ha! whatever that is supposed to mean!). The way you weave the world is awe-fucking! Your Phantom has the cold brutal look that contrasts his human activities... indeed a Phantom in the real sense! It is a treat to go through your blog everyday... squishy it may sound but it inspires!

Craig Zablo said...

When I was a kid I dug the Phantom. I like your drawing even better.

Hope the toothache is a thing of the past.

[a] said...

One of my favourite characters!

Skotti said...

Too cool, and I actually liked the Phantom movie, granted I was a kid at the time.

travel foreman said...

baking soda is a good home remedy for a tooth ache.
mixed with water or caked into the cavity

Skottie Young said...

Great piece as always Eric. I can't wait to hear your episode. Sidebar really is an amazing podcast. And you know I would only Tranq you out of love...hahahahahahaha.

RAWLS said...

Yo Eric...I know how you feel my friend..on both points. A) Phantom has a very nostalgic coolness to him, and B) Toothaches suck. I had my wisdom teeth taken out not too long ago. Very fun experience :(
Anyway, great sketch dude! What pen do you use?

ConfusedArtist said...

I don't know why, but the Phantom that you drew, reminds me of Hellboy. I really like it (cause I love Hellboy)

ryan cody said...

Love that Phantom sketch Eric.

Bobby Hernandez said...

NIce work bro. The Phantom is in the building! Love the ink work, storytelling, and composition. The work is really inspiring. Keep em coming.

Brian said...

The Phantom was one of my favorites when I was a little kid, loved those twin .45's.

Dynamite is going to be doing a new comic with the character and this piece would make a kick arse cover.

bestonline323 said...

actually the movie isn't all that great at all. Well not what i expected anyway, But Phantom was definitely my favorite.