“Today, in our field, there is so much talent and recognition that we are reaching a saturation point. An artist should no longer strive only for breathtaking craftsmanship; he should, instead, try to help us live better, either by dressing the wounds that are constantly being opened by society, or by offering solutions to get us out of the mess we’re in…But it’s going to be difficult and we have a lot of work to do.” - Jean 'Moebius' Giraud

Wednesday, May 14, 2008

ORION_90 minutes


So if I understand this correctly, when Orion takes off his shiny helmet his face is just as jacked up as his dad's, Darkseid - ruler of of Apokolips. Or it may *eventually* end up looking that way? I'm not quite sure. Man, it must be tough to be the grand loser of the intergalactic genetic lottery.

So, this one's a day early because I don't know how my schedule will shape up tomorrow and I'm getting one in early now. By the way, I just realized I'm about a month late from my proposed two and a half week deadline of...um...re-posting again. Well, I'm just gonna start now. Enjoy!

"Hey, Orion... take your helmet off! What's that? Oh, you're exaggerating. I'm sure you don't look that baaaaaaa-OH MY GAD! I...um...mean....that's hardly noticeable. But, uh...put the helmet back on, yeah? It goes with...uh...your...uh....suit! Yeah, no...I mean, it's all just...it's all cool. Helmet. On. Thanks."

21 comments:

Ryan Hanratty said...

Hahaha - sweet piece. Glad to see you back and pumpin'em out!

Eli said...

Really great lines and composition! I'm not too familiar with the character, but really impressed by this rendering.

weshoyot said...

neat!

Andrea said...

UUUUUUHHHHHHHHHHH UH!

A W E S O M E !

Aviv said...

Beautiful. The pose looks great and I love the dynamic feel created by the brilliant inking.

Joshm said...

Good to see you back on the blog and the new project looks fantastic. I didn't even know about the book before, but from having read about it on newsarama it looks pretty cool.

Congrats on the character designs for the cartoon too. I would love to do something like that someday.

RLS said...

I love the composition and rendering. You can really see Orion as the son of Darkseid here. Too bad Starlin killed them all off.

IIRC Orion's face was jacked up like Darkseid but he uses Mother Box to fix it and make it look more normal most times.

samacleod said...

What a powerful drawing! Glad you're posting again. Brilliant work, very inspiring.

DAN-VAN-COOL said...

Kick ass update man! Dont feel to guilty about not posting, Everyone has life to deal with at some point...and deadlines :P
Glad your keeping busy.

Take Care

Mark McDonnell said...

NICE . . .great feel and handling. Love the feeling of movement in your line work, especially in the hand reaching out,

MAC

Craig Zablo said...

Very iconic!

Skotti said...

Holy shit... you're alive!!!



I love your Orion.

ryan cody said...

This is outstanding man, glad you're posting again.

RAWLS said...

Very, very, awesome....as usual!

axel said...

Good Lord.....this is awesome!

rory said...

Very cosmic and powerful, I'm sure Kirby himself would dig this.

alberto rios said...

dude always love your rendition of characters this is an awesome Orion.

Vincenzo Balzano said...

compliments and fantastic good technique

EDDE WAGNER said...

Wow!!!
Expressive a lot!!

Guillaume Bianco said...

Waow!Fantastic!
Beautiful art!

aris said...

This kicks all kinds of A$$!!!

Don't know how you do it bruh. But keep doing it. I love the style and the slickness of your work and teh composition is always amazing.