“Today, in our field, there is so much talent and recognition that we are reaching a saturation point. An artist should no longer strive only for breathtaking craftsmanship; he should, instead, try to help us live better, either by dressing the wounds that are constantly being opened by society, or by offering solutions to get us out of the mess we’re in…But it’s going to be difficult and we have a lot of work to do.” - Jean 'Moebius' Giraud

Saturday, May 17, 2008

IVAN KEYSER BRANDON SOZE_90 minutes


I have friend and his name is IVAN BRANDON. I'd like to talk to you about him for a minute so read along if you don't mind. As a matter of fact, if you want to get into this business for the long term you need to know this story. Then maybe you can go find and get to know this man.

First let me preempt everything I'm going to say here by saying that some of the statements may seem to make this brilliant, brilliant person out to be some kind of bogeyman. He's not. He's here to HELP. Let me tell you how and how I found out:

Okay, so...Ivan. He's the one who asked me to draw covers for his NYC MECH book a while back (look at some of my earliest posts on this-here blog for images of these covers) and he wrote the story for my 24/7 contribution in Volume 1. Now, he's done more work than that obviously - the most recent of which is his Machine Man run set to release from Marvel very soon. And if you'd like to know his full professional background, click on his name on the link I've high-lighted above; the fella' is bright, quick with the wit, well versed in comic book history and can tell and take a good joke with the best of 'em. Oh, and he's loyal. Loyalty is important. He's backed my name in everything that I've done - even pushed my work like a drug dealer whenever a project comes up on the horizon and it doesn't even have to be a book that he's involved with! He looks out for his people and I was lucky enough to meet him, lucky enough to be asked to work with him and everything has gotten rolling from there by way of my second foray into the funny book business. It is to say that I credit they guy with how my career got its second start.

Here's the thing: He's not REAL.

Yeah...it was hard for me to wrap my mind around the idea of that too, but after this past weekend's trip to the Emerald City Comic Con, the proverbial light bulb went off in my head and I was convinced. See, events transpired in that show that started me on this path to discover if he was an actual person or not. My findings have lead me to believe that he's actually several people. Put simply, there's more than one 'Ivan Brandon' walking around out there.

Crazy, right?! Yeah...let me tell you how crazy.

Ivan Brandon's a mystery man. He's everywhere at once. In that same show, I'd talk to 'him' at his table (sitting with his lovely girlfriend Kristyn - one of the nicest, most charming people I've met in a while) for about 20 minutes or so and that was a hoot. He'd offer me books he's just recently published and about what's going on next between the both of us. Then I'd make my way around the show, run into someone who also had an acquaintance with Ivan and they'd say,
"Oh hey, you just missed Ivan. He was here...two minutes ago."


"Oh yeah?, I was just talking him up a bit at his table two minutes ago. When did you run into him?"


"Like, I dunno, man...two minutes ago. He was *just* here - literally two minutes ago! We talked about this and that and books and comics and blah, blah blah."


"Blah, blah, blah, " I'd think to myself? "That's the same shit he just spoke to me about! Verbatim!"


Now I don't care how fast you walk or what kind of special pair of Pumas you've got on, that type of travel, especially in a crowded show like ECCC, that's f*cking impossible. That incident is what started me on my realization that there's no way Ivan is just ONE person. Want more proof? At the same show, let me emphasize this so you'll pay attention - AT THE SAME SHOW - another fellow artist, obviously not knowing that Ivan had a booth set up in Artists Alley, comes up to me and says, "Hey...24/7 VOLUME 2 just got nominated for an Eisner! Too bad Ivan is in South America hoofin' it, knee-deep in river water or else I'd give him props myself!"

I'd say, "You're f*cking high: I just spoke to the guy today and he's sitting behind his table."

I don't typically drop the F-Bomb this much, but this was the fifth or sixth person IN THIS SAME SHOW who claims that Ivan is in one place when I just saw him and TALKED TO HIM at another place. And this guy says he's in SOUTH F*CKIN' AMERICA?! This is ridiculous. Anyhoo...

"Naw, dood. I just saw pictures of him and he's smiling that ol' Ivan smile, pants folded up to his knees in some muddy river in South America. Funny thing is Jimmy ('Jimmy' is a stand-in name - if I start naming real pros, I'd implicate their involvement and I don't know what the 'Ivans' will do to them) just sent me picture of Ivan wearing a winter parka and he looked like he was at base camp on K2 a couple of days ago. Cool, yeah? Th' guy really gets around."


Cool? COOL?! It's f*cking IMPOSSIBLE! Not only is it ludicrous for him to be in ten places at THIS SHOW, it's even more ridiculous to think that he'd be on two different halves of the hemisphere - TWO DAYS APART! Why has no one ever caught on to this. More importantly, why has no one ever called this man out?!

Then... the second light bulb went off. Why has no one ever called him out? Influence. The man has influence.

"Eric, I think you'd be great on Iron Man. Marvel would have to be crazy not to put you on that book."


His words. A full year before I got the IM: ETM gig. It seems so innocuous, that statement. Read it again. It seems so simple and and throw-away, that you don't even think about it twice. As a matter of fact, I denied it could even happen! "What would Marvel want with me," I asked myself? So I left it alone. And that's how Ivan wants you to think. It makes his influence *seem* that much less significant. "The greatest trick that The Devil ever pulled was to convince the world he wasn't real." Keep that in mind when you re-read this blog entry. That's how he works. That's how they work.Why did it take a year if he has so much influence, you ask? That's how people with real clout work. They make you think it was all your doing, all of your decisions; that you had somehow controlled your own destiny and now you're doing the thing that you set out to do. Every industry has it - from business, to entertainment, to sports. Comic books has Ivan Brandon. He pulls the strings - little bit tighter here, looser there. He cranks down on pulleys and levers - all in the name of comic books. And it's not just for me.

If you go through... let's say, the Image Comics booth at this year's San Diego Comic Con, ask the other artists in Ivan's vicinity, and I believe they'll all say the same thing...or at least something similar:

"Ivan's a really cool guy. He helped me [insert kind act that's impossible for one man to accomplish here]. And man, it's been nothing but smooth sailing since"

Like a Rothschild or a Rockefeller, Ivan Brandon, along with an exclusive cadre of highly influential yet carefully secretive sect within this industry, have been pushing artists writers, colorists, et al - to the forefront. And they make it all seem like it's your idea. Or it was your blind luck. Or it was chance. Or it was some editorial office in NYC. It's not.

My recent count puts their at numbers at around 50 - all of them wear one mask.

Their name is Ivan Brandon.




31 comments:

Skotti said...

O.O



Dood... that's kinda creepy...

Michael said...

haha
definitely a collective consciousness you wanna keep in your rolodex

Craig Zablo said...

Eric - My guess is there is only one Brandon, but that he is a master of time and space.

Think about it...

RLS said...

Dude, what kinda pot did you guys smoke at ECCC? That stuff is crazy, man!
Great story.

Andrea Montano said...

That is so creepy yet exciting at the same time. Life needs a little mystery too, even in the world of comics. And especially when it can give you those type of chances in the industry!

Maybe one day I get to know (them).

DAN-VAN-COOL said...

The story reminds me of something similar to how Tyler Durden is portrayed in "Fight Club" :P
Sounds like a good guy to know though. I hope I get my chance one day.
Take Care

sensitiveandimportant said...

This is scaring me , in a good way. How Can I get in touch with one of his selves ?

Lue Sang said...

I agree with Andrea - life needs a little mystery.

Plus, Zablo said may be right: the man is the master of space and time.

This is just wild

ryan cody said...

Ivan is the master of introductions as well, I've met quite a few people just by standing in the general vicinity and Ivan goes out of his way to make everyone feel comfortable, even if he will not remember doing it, or they, will not remember me after that.

Brian said...

I'm Spartacus . . . I mean Brandon

kiljoyroy said...

You know, they say he walks with a limp..!

j_ay said...

Funny story. Thanks for the updates, nice to see you back!

weshoyot said...

one word man...and i know the movie sucked...

"JUMPER"

Dokeck said...

Thats so twisted...
I loove your blog btw.

COMIKXGUY said...

is "the ivans" part of the illuminati?

for a second there i thought you were ivan just so you could better help you promote your projects ya know a ghostwriter/artist thing

[a] said...

Unbelievable. LoL.

javier suppa said...

my god eric!!
you are the best ,your style is incredible.
i read your stories a long time in the magazine verotik

im an artist too .im from argentina .
good luk man

javier suppa
http://www.javiersuppa.blogspot.com

Maxetormer said...

NEVER stop updating!

abhishek singh said...

hi eric hope u remember me .
abhishek ....i hav started bloggin n have put up little bit of my work .
plz do visit ,,
also i've added you so many other people can see your work here in india
regards
abhishek

david benzal said...

Helo! you have a nice work, i like it, Very cool!!

PaoloArmitano said...

All your job, is amazing!! Very very compliments.

Tommy T said...

This Blog is SICK, very inspirational. It makes me wanna sit down and draw eternally.
I'm in the process of getting inverstors for my Sci Fi animated film and I couldn't think of anyone else to design my characters...we need to talk.
Peace out!

T.

COMIKXGUY said...

yeah, never stop updating, never

tonci said...

excellent story!

oliver buhnk said...

c00l!!! You are a brilliant drawer!

Fabio Lai said...

A lot of powerful drawings here O__o
I love your style.

alessandro said...

U are a big artist!
YEah!!!!!
If u want...

http://talesofavalon.blogspot.com/

Ciao!!!!
Alessandro Micelli

naomiful said...

it's been a month, sucka <3

COMIKXGUY said...

slacker :)


i see another bet coming soon


so what will it be this time?

maybe a few games for guitar hero ?


?????

inquiring mind wants to know

COMIKXGUY said...

ka-ching!

time to sing "wanted" again

i meant rock band not guitar hero

:)

azhar said...

is this Ivan for Real!

whoaaa..

introduce me to this Ivan...

i need a break in the comic biz..
feel free to drop by my blog Ivan,,,

cant wait to read your 'End League',,Eruc..