“Today, in our field, there is so much talent and recognition that we are reaching a saturation point. An artist should no longer strive only for breathtaking craftsmanship; he should, instead, try to help us live better, either by dressing the wounds that are constantly being opened by society, or by offering solutions to get us out of the mess we’re in…But it’s going to be difficult and we have a lot of work to do.” - Jean 'Moebius' Giraud

Wednesday, May 14, 2008

THE BEGINNING OF THE END_update


Okay, I'm behind on updating this one here because NEWSARAMA has already published the story, but just in case you don't visit their site, click HERE and read about what's got me so busy for the past...I dunno...has it been months already? Ugh. Thanks to CHRIS ARRANT for the interview - he's the fella who wrote up (what's become notoriously known among my friends as) the 'Enter the Eric' interview a while back for IM: ETM.

Anyhoo, the book is called 'The End League' written by RICK REMENDER - writer of 'Fear Agent', 'Sea of Red' and most recently 'The Atom' for DC Comics. So, read the interview along with the comments thereafter. The reaction has been overall postive and I'm glad not too many people are hating on the fact that I'm coming in after Broome.


I'm going to act as if you couldn't see this preview image on the Newsarama site because I'm feeling awful guilty about not updating this blog in a while. This is the cover to issue #5 with pencils and inks by me, colors by the amazing NAOMI BAKER. I'm not sure if they've amended it in the said interview, but I think they mentioned Dave Stewart as the colorist for my run. As a matter of fact he *was* indeed slated to color the book, but unfortunately, due to an unforeseen schedule constraints (I mean c'mon...the guy's Dave Stewart - he's busy as hell) he had to pass. But without missing a beat, Naomi came in to lend a helping hand and if you check this image out (along with the preview pages up on the news site) you'll see what a great fit she is.

What else...oh yeah! In the theme of promoting myself like a true press whore, I did an INTERVIEW for the CHARACTER DESIGN BLOG. Please check it out and read along to all the semi-retarded things that come out of my mouth. Thanks to Randall Sly for the opportunity and the interview.

In other comicbook news, please keep an eye out for Tori Amos' project called 'COMIC BOOK TATOO', in which writing monster JONATHAN TSUEI and I (with the incomparable SASKIA GUTEKUNST providing colors) contributed a short 8 page story. Thank you RANTZ HOSELY for letting us participate. It's been a ton of fun. Like oodles of noodles, but different. The book should be out by San Diego Comic Con time so please keep an eye out and buy the book. Look at the contributors, guys. It'll do your collection a heap of good to have this in the line-up.

Also, the new BEN 10: ALIEN FORCE cartoon debut on Cartoon Network a few weeks back and is considered (by way of reviews and ratings) a resounding success - even better than its predecessor, from my understanding. I'm doing concept designs for the show and it's been a real treat seeing it all come together culminating in the airing of the episodes. I'm quite proud to be associated with all the talents working on the show - from the character/prop/background designers to painters/color stylists , from the production coordinators to the writing staff - they're all tops in my book. GLEN MURAKAMI (Batman: TAS, Justice League Unlimited, Teen Titans) and DWAYNE MCDUFFIE (Static Shock, Justice League Unlimited) have another hit on their hands and it's all due to those guys' devotion to the show. Here's hoping they both get a well-deserved rest between seasons.

So I think that's it for now. I just got back from the Emerald City show in Seattle and I'll come back on here to give a full report on that. You know... much like I gave a report of my trip to the Savannah College of Art and Design - Atlanta a few months back. So, yeah... hold your breath. It's not like I've been busy or anything. Har! See you all really soon.

How much time do I have left before I have to start posting again?

12 comments:

Leaf said...

I picked up the first issue of End League, but didn't stick with it for whatever reason. May have to give it another look now that you're taking over the reins. Cheers.

axel#13 said...

Dang....this cover image is AWESOME! Must pick up this series!

Tony said...

Congrats on all the projects.
And this is a bit belated, but thanks for taking the time to check out my portfolio at the Wizard World LA show...and for liking my stuff.

weshoyot said...

yahooooooo...eric's back and kickin'!

weshoyot said...

you know, i just checked out that tori amos link, and hot damn that'd be fun to do with THE SMASHING PUMPKINS...

captain bothari said...

waaaaaoooooooooo

Andre Szymanowicz said...

Looks awesome, cant wait to see that book!
Also, we are both in CBT - Im so stoked about that!

Skotti said...

Very sexy work, I checked out the previews over on Newsarama, I'm excited to read it.

Brian said...

Dang, the story is missing over on the Newsarama site.

Andres said...

UAOOO; Very impressive!
I'm an italian colorist and I'd like too much colour some of your artwork...do you think it's possible? Give a look to my blog and say me if you like my work, please...

amwd.blogspot.com

Thanks
Andres

N.A.N.O said...

WOW!

Oxnard said...

End League was something I was already buying and now that you're coming on board I'm even more excited about it. Looking forward to your run and best of luck!