“Today, in our field, there is so much talent and recognition that we are reaching a saturation point. An artist should no longer strive only for breathtaking craftsmanship; he should, instead, try to help us live better, either by dressing the wounds that are constantly being opened by society, or by offering solutions to get us out of the mess we’re in…But it’s going to be difficult and we have a lot of work to do.” - Jean 'Moebius' Giraud

Wednesday, February 13, 2008

SCAD_update



Before I forget, I'd like to remind all of you that along with award winning illustrators Andrew Robinson, Yuko Shimuzu and James Jean, I will be at the SAVANNAH COLLEGE OFF ART & DESIGN - ATLANTA hosting an art forum. Woot!

Now after reading that line up you catch yourself thinking, "Wilco Tango Foxtrot?! Robinson, Jean, Shimuzu and....Canete?!" and you're hearing that little jingle from Sesame Street of "...One of the people doesn't belong here, one of these people aren't the same..." (you know the one - it's when they split your TV screen into fours and there are three firemen and one policeman, but in this case it'd be more appropriate if there were three nuclear physicists and one circus clown throwing pies at his own face), I'd like to reassure you that you're not alone. The parody is definitely not lost on me and I too am haunted by the ironic tune. I'm going to have to learn some magic tricks before I go so the attendees wont call shenanigans on me right away.

That said, click on the link above for details - it'll be about two thirds of the way down on their calendar page for the month of February and it'll have a snippet of the image that I've posted above. Please attend if you can (I think the open night is on Thursday?) and if you're a student and are already on your way, please don't hurl the tomatoes directly at my face or crotch. I thank you all in advance.

I'll have new images up tomorrow. Yours included, Oscar. I promise.

13 comments:

Pat said...

Shenanigans!!! Just kidding :) I just love that word... but I digress. Your humility amazes me. I'm a grad student at SCAD-Atlanta, and I was more than pleased to see your name on the guest list. I signed up for your workshop, posthaste, and I look forward to any nuggets of wisdom you decide to impart. See you next week.

Pat Bollin (www.patbollin.com)

Skotti said...

Y'know, if I didn't know you better (and if Jon didn't back it up), I'd be wary of your humility. Refreshingly though, you're 100% true, which amazes me why you put up with my cattiness sometimes. No matter what, I thank you for listening to me, when I rant, giving me help and guidance, and most of all, just for being kick ass.


I think you belong with them, but that's my opinion, and yours is the only one that matters.

naomiful said...

Woohoo I'll be there in a week! It's going to be sooooooo cool

cuz Canete's gonna be there

he draws so neat

Remember to bring a lightbox hush hush hahaha j/k. You know how it is, much love <3 <3

Rafael Dante said...

russian construtivism!

very good!

Gary Fitzgerald said...

man I wish I could go.. you and Andrew are two of my very faves..


Andrew then you....

but that still puts you at number 2 right?.. that's great, right?

The Edge said...

Hey Eric,
I am driving up from Savannah to go to the workshops. Didn't get to see you in San Diego this last time so I am looking forward to seeing what is new with you!
Take care and I will see you next week!
Mark

axel#13 said...

Awesome, digging on the how this Iron Man piece was painted.
Also have fun at SCAD!

Sean said...

I didn't care to come since I go to the Savannah branch of SCAD, but I saw your name and about crapped my pants since I've been following your work for a few months now.

I'm going to try and bum a ride to Atlanta to visit your workshop.

Sean said...

I didn't feel like trying to get a ride down to Atlanta until I saw your name and about crapped a brick. I've been following your work for months now, and I'm so mad that I'm in SCAD-Savannah, and not Atlanta.

I'll try and bum a ride so I can visit your workshop.

Adelle said...

Eric!! I'm so going to be there. Let me see if my sisters are free too. They haven't seen you in over 10 years!! How long will you be in Atlanta. Send me a msg on FB and maybe you can squeeze us into your busy schedule!

shou' said...

Cool! Have fun in SCAD.

Sweet Iron Man! I'd like to see a little more warm colors played in the background, but otherwise nice composition and funky design.

COMIKXGUY said...

woo! that's one amazing pic

eric, you deserve it even though "the jj" says otherwise :)

Julia said...

hodamn eric YOU were at SCAD with yuko and the rest??? she never told us that haha. btw did i ever mention to you... that she's my illustration professor?

by the way, the past drawings you've been pumping out this year have all been really amazing! your already strong and dynamic compositions keep getting better.

congrats to you and naomi both!