“Today, in our field, there is so much talent and recognition that we are reaching a saturation point. An artist should no longer strive only for breathtaking craftsmanship; he should, instead, try to help us live better, either by dressing the wounds that are constantly being opened by society, or by offering solutions to get us out of the mess we’re in…But it’s going to be difficult and we have a lot of work to do.” - Jean 'Moebius' Giraud

Friday, February 29, 2008

MS. MARVEL_commission


It's been a while, folks. I've been busy, busy, busy - trying to catch up on commissions like the one you see above (sorry for the wait, Rob), taking on a new book (can't say anything quite yet, but they say it'll be announced at Emerald City Con), and trying to get ready for the big show in San Diego.

Ugh, there's not enough hours in the day. Oh, and I think I'm getting sick to boot! High five! But I'm back full time until about the 7th of March. Then I'm out for about...a week? Let me see if I can make up for my out time between now and then. Come back often, all - watch the train wreck.

Oh, the SCAD event went off like gangbusters. I'll speak about it more later, but before any and all of that I'd like to send out my personal thanks and gratitude to my 'handler' SHAWN CRYSTAL. I didn't know what I was in for when Shawn asked me to go to Atlanta - from the round table slide show on Thursday, to the workshops on Friday and Saturday, to everything in between - but whatever ended up on my radar, Shawn made it nothing but a pleasurable experience. I can't say enough about what an accommodating gentleman he is and as such, he was a great spokesperson for the school. He's a respected teacher *AND* the talented bastard can draw to boot. Go to his BLOG and you'll see that I ain't lying. Again, I'll give a full report about the whole event later and I'm sure I'll gush about the guy (and my fellow attendees) some more , but for now: Thanks Shawn. You are, as the kids say, 'The Bomb'.

Or, I don't know... the kids probably don't really say that anymore. Speaking of what kids say, did you know the word 'pwned' exists? Seriously....'pwned'. Stupid kids.

16 comments:

W PRZESTRZENI said...

great draw!!!1

ryan cody said...

Love the movement and flow on this Eric, I've only met Shawn once, but he seemed like a great guy.

John Rauch said...

Great work!

Skotti said...

Sexy as usual, I really wana pester you for details on your next project, but I don't want you to get in trouble.

DougDabbs said...

Eric, it was really great meeting you at the art forum. Your workshop was eye opening and impressive. I really appreciate all the feedback you gave me on my work, it will definitely help. I hope to see you at conventions over the summer. Thanks again for taking time out of your schedule to be here and making the forum a memorable event.

Doug

Brian said...

Man, that is something. Not sure what the Ms. Marvel Dragon connection is - don't know that much about the character - but I love the visual.

Shawn Crystal said...

Eric, i just can't thank you enough. For your time, your kindness, sharing your knowledge (which you have a wealth of!), and also for the kind works on your blog! My hits have gone from 20 to 200 today because of you. All i can say is...
YOU DA MAN!
Thanks again for coming here, it was blast, and i am really grateful that i got to meet you and hang with you a bit.
Shawn

C. G. Leow said...

Craziiieeee awesome blog! I love the 90-minute breakdown you did.

emilio said...

Eric-
The Ms Marvel commission looks great. Those dragons are awesome.

So glad that everything went well @ SCAD.

Been to Shawn's blog before. He sure can draw. Glad he was able to help you along there and make it a memorable experience.

Looking forward to more info on that new book you're just starting on.

Rock on!

Jay said...

Eric,

We talked briefly at the pizza lunch at SCAD on Friday. Your insight into the personal creative needs stuck with me. Thanks for sharing your talent and insight with the SCAD students and faculty. The event was very well received and a blast for all.

Jay Montgomery
SCAD Illustration Professor

Chris Bivins said...

Eric the art forum was really cool. You and Jean gave some really inspirational advice that nice. I had to fun after the q&a, but it really made an impact on my work as well as my attitude. Your stuff is always amazing and thanks to Shawn as well for inviting me out. Really appreciate it guys. Anyway, hope all is well and take care.

-Biv

Reynes said...

Well... great composition, great drawing and great inking, as usual !
I'm curious about the new book you'll working on, your work on Iron Man was just amazing !

Andre Szymanowicz said...

Sounds like a great time!

Cant wait to see what comes out next from you! Ill actually be at the Emerald City Con so thats good news!

weshoyot said...

i cant wait to hear about the SCAD experience! im sure it was most awesome. you doing the WWLA?? I hope you feel better too, i got that evil flu thing a few weeks back...it's evil....and to use that uber cool, new hip gangsta pop culture word in a sentence....

"you got PWNED!"

as in you, eric canete, got your booty kicked, by said evil flu. i am almost certain the origin of "pwned" has some online gamer origin. it's like Latin, better than Ebonics.....gamer talk!

(and i only know this because i have younger brothers...keeps me hip with the lingo of those hipsters and scenesters)

Red Fox said...

Wow man!
I don't like so much miss Marvel character but you render her in awesome way!
Good job

Your work at Iron man its really cool! I bought it for the drawings ^_^, he!

mick said...

you are the king, homes. now i'll have to READ some of this.