“Today, in our field, there is so much talent and recognition that we are reaching a saturation point. An artist should no longer strive only for breathtaking craftsmanship; he should, instead, try to help us live better, either by dressing the wounds that are constantly being opened by society, or by offering solutions to get us out of the mess we’re in…But it’s going to be difficult and we have a lot of work to do.” - Jean 'Moebius' Giraud

Tuesday, January 01, 2008

CLOSE, BUT...


...BUT NO EFFIN' CIGAR!
Haha!

So Eric's away (yes...again!) for the beginning of the New Year and while I wasn't worried about winning our bet, my heart did skip a beat when an e-mail came at the 13th hour from the reclusive bastard which had these attachments to it! Then, because I can count at least up to 21 (which was the final image deficit after the ten he's put up since the inception of our wager) , I realized that the man came up four...count 'em...FOUR images short! Whoo-hoo! Whew! Er...I mean, I knew he couldn't do it! Guess who's $40.00 richer and a future "ROCKSTAR"?! You got it:

ME!

All kidding aside, with Enter The Mandarin , the holidays and...um...another bit of planning he's doing, I'm surprised and amazed he came this close. But unless we're playing horseshoes, close doesn't count for much and I'm still the big winner!

Anyway, here's what the loser had to say:


"Hey, man. Yeah, yeah, yeah...I know. So I'm short a couple of images. But I mean, can you really blame me? What would *you* rather do: go fishing or draw? You see my conundrum. Haha! Put these up on the blog for me and ask people to please not be too disappointed for not giving them thirty one images total. I know I let 'em down. Dammit. Oh, also...post a 'Happy New Year' too. I swear I'll make it up when I get home on Tuesday? And I guess we can go shopping for your damn video game then too - you lucky bastard! Hope your New Year's eve is going well and that you don't have too many questionable women in my house. I'll see you soon.

Oh, yeah. Hey, you...yeah, YOU. You are so cool."


No, Eric...not *too* many questionable women. Just the right amount. Heh.

Like the man said folks, here's hoping the best to you and yours in the upcoming year. Thanks for reading along and hopefully I can bamboozle him into another bet like this one. Oh, and enjoy the images!

Now, what to do with $40.00? Hmm....





















26 comments:

spaceJASE said...

DAMN - that was worth the wait!
Happy New Year!

Alexx Galán said...

Thanx for posting all that. Your designs rules. Good luck for the project, looks amazing.

Jake said...

*clap* *clap* *clap* BRAVO Eric! With December as busy as it usually is for most people to get even one a week done is an amazing feat. You rock even if you're 4 short. What an inspiring way to bring in the new year.

mikolaj said...

WOW ! A lot of good drawings ! that i like ! :)

Brian said...

An embarrassment of riches to start off the new year.

My favorites, in no particular order are

Gravedigger, The little girl in the window, and snakecharmer

Craig Zablo said...

Wowzers! Each piece was a winner! What a way to start the new year. Thank you!

Joshm said...

Dude, you rock! Each one is really well done and four short is very good, also you have something to improve upon for next year. :)

Happy New Year!

Skotti said...

Rockin stuff hon, so loving the snake charmer, and the duckies!!

COMIKXGUY said...

well, i was going to do a list of the ones i liked like brian but when i went back over them i could see that i liked the majority so... i'll say this:

YOU are so cool :)

...and jon too

happy new year jon and eric!

Lue Sang said...

Intense! Here I was wondering if Eric would win the bet - though I knida figured it was a REALLY tall order - but DAMN! He got so close!

Each of these pieces are excellent!

Well done, Eric!

Congrats, Jon!

Happy new year to you both.

weshoyot said...

hmm... what to do with $40...well, i think you should go buy some rockstar sunglasses and an 80's metal shirt so when you play rockstar, you can look the part...oh yeah..and then buy some Rockstar energy drinks. you'll need em. that game is fucking hella fun!!!

eric~ on the art: HOT DAMN! this is some of your best stuff, innovative, BEAUTIFUL, im so fricken inspired right now (not to mention jealous of your mad, MAD skillz!)! you are one amazing person, to have these all in your head and manage to get them down on paper in such realization!!! WOW. fucking WOWOWOWOWOWOW!!!! O_O*

Tom said...

Wow, what a great set of drawings! I would love to see you work on some kind of fantasy story.

Thanks for sharing, Happy New Year, hope it's a safe, healthy, productive one!

Mark said...

Great stuff. I particularly like the snake woman. As they say up north, "ooh, nips like a cobbler's thumbs".

See also: Kate Moss.

rory said...

Fantastic! Sorry to hear Eric did'nt reach the desired number, but it's still a win for any fortunate enough to see these images.

COMIKXGUY said...

weshoyot said...
hmm... what to do with $40...well, buy some rockstar sunglasses, an 80's metal shirt and then buy some Rockstar energy drinks. you'll need em.

I THINK WESHOYOT HAD A FEW TOO :)
WOW. fucking WOWOWOWOWOWOW!!!! O_O*

Tom said...
I would love to see you work on some kind of fantasy story.

I AGREE

Mark said...
"ooh, nips like a cobbler's thumbs". LIKE Kate Moss.

I AGREE

rory said...
it's still a win for any fortunate enough to see these images.

YUP!

j_ay said...

Wow!
Those are some sweeeeeeeeet drawings.
The hell with (supposedly) lacking for 4; you *could* have cheapened a few of those and busted out another sketchier 4, but you opted to kick ass instead.
Well done.
Looking forward to being wowed by you some more in “2008”.
j

GHGraphics said...

WOW! My man, I love your art and this blog. I will be dropping by on a regular basis now... Beautiful!

Joliber P. Mapiles said...

Nice sketches..

Anyway, I've added you on my Link Partners column.. Hope you can do the same.. Thanks..

Monyo said...

Just amazing...as allways!!
You`re an inspiration, a really good one.

I hope you can start the year in the best way.

From Argentina,
Monyo.

dustin said...

show off ass.

Caligola said...

… excuse the errors. But I do not know English and I translate with Internet.
# You a six Monster.
# your designs are wonderful!!!!
# Complimenti!!!!!
# a your new one fans # # Max

Caligola said...

...STUPENDI....

SEI UN GRANDE

BRAVO

C.

EricCallen said...

wow-o-wow-o-WOW!

These are sensational!

Were these done for a specific purpose, or are they commissions?

Maybe done just for this blog of yours? Based on what I read of 'the bet', I guess so?

In ANY case... can I have one?

;)-

Seriously, are these for sale?

Oh, and 'Hi comikxguy!'

Thanx for all the artzy, comic goodness, Eric!!

Best,

Eric

IrisOn said...

wow these are amazing

Mark McDonnell said...

Your work is FUCKING awesome man. Love your ideas coupled with your amazing technique. Always a pleasure to take a look at your work my friend. Beautiful stuff,

MAC

COMIKXGUY said...

HEY ERIC!!!!!