“Today, in our field, there is so much talent and recognition that we are reaching a saturation point. An artist should no longer strive only for breathtaking craftsmanship; he should, instead, try to help us live better, either by dressing the wounds that are constantly being opened by society, or by offering solutions to get us out of the mess we’re in…But it’s going to be difficult and we have a lot of work to do.” - Jean 'Moebius' Giraud

Tuesday, November 20, 2007

MARGOT_90 minutes



"Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men? The Shadow knows!"

So here's another little story.

I had actually started and was almost finished with an earlier 'Margot Lane' 90 minute exercise. But before I get into that maybe you guys need a primer.

I chew on ice cubes. I like it. I dunno - psychiatrists may say it stems from some level of frustration; personal, professional, mental, physical...um...sexual? Whatever. I like to chew on ice. I like to load up whatever I'm drinking, something cold and something refreshing, and I like to load it up with ice. Then, after the drink is done, there's gonna be ice left. I chew on that because...well...I like to chew on ice. You get little hints of the previous drink because it's somehow permeated itself into the ice cube. It's a nice little treat, you know? Big cubes, little tiny ones, shaved mini-chunks, even the ones with the holes in the middle, I don't have a preference. Last night they were the kind from the ice trays in my fridge - I'd say medium size cubes at the very least.

Okay, so - I'm almost done with a previous Margot Lane image. I was working on the brim of The Shadow's hat, chewing on ice (because I like chewing on 'em) and I guess I'd lost my ice chewing skills or maybe the cube was just a tad too big for my mouth or I'd just forgotten to swallow the melted byproduct.... I don't know what the hell happened, but the next thing I know I've drooled on the original. So flabbergasted was I at this near-impossible and laughable event that I sat there looking at the water soluble ink run down the length of the page. I was mortified.

But then something else happened. After that disastrous tendril finally came to a halt, I started laughing. Laughing out loud like a madman. Laughing like a crazy person because I imagined the sight of me looking like a giant infant and were I wearing diapers and a bib, I'd more than complete the scene. You'd laugh your ass off too if you'd seen a grown man involuntarily drool on himself.

Anyway, there it is. At least I got a chance to redraw Margot to the point where I was actually happy with her. So that right there was a hidden little gift and silver lining. Oh, and I've included a cropped section of the ill-fated image where, you know... the 'magic' happened. Enjoy.

13 comments:

jason quinones said...

magic indeed!

great as always!

(what the hell else is there to say about your work!)

Skotti said...

I seriously shouldn't laugh, but I did something similar with a recent commission, apparently I rolled a 1 on my straw use skill. I somehow squirted diet pepsi onto my workspace... All I have to say it, thenk the digital gods for photoshop.

I still absolutely adore your work, smears and all.

Kyle Latino said...

Wow, truly great image you finished there. I have a real soft spot for the Shadow. My childhood was spent listening to his dramas on Cracker-barrel tapes. Yep, hard to believe that Orson Wells would read those scripts dry on the air!

Craig Zablo said...

I have to admit, sir, that on more than one occasion your work has caused me to drool as well!

Another beaut!

naomiful said...

EWWWWWWWWWW

Eric Canete drools on his work I'm telling everyone! :P

<3

Tannerama said...

Same thing has happened to me but my drool didn't land on work. But, my theory was that my chewing on ice numbed my mouth and lips so much that I wasn't aware of the drool until it was too late.

I have also bitten the hell out of my tongue and cheek after chewing ice because they're numb and I can't feel it.

Brian said...

I chewed ice cubes as a kid. My mom always told me it was bad for my teeth, but she forgot to mention the threat it posed to original art.

Great piece Eric, especially the Margot.

Tyree said...

Craving and chewing ice can be a symptom of iron deficiency.

Neil said...

Man, that's worse than getting choked on one's own spittle.

Anders said...

and what if you chew your ice cube in an intravenous way now? ^^
great great double Margot!
bravo

marco's blog said...

dude, your ice drool even looks cool...bad pun.

John Beatty said...

You are a "madman" Eric!

BTW...is that YOU I see as the 'shooter' in your Iron Man #3?

Looks like some pictures of you.

-JBeatty

Very nice commission piece too, along with your story...interesting hobby you have!

-JBeatty

Pedro Daniel said...

Nice blog!