“Today, in our field, there is so much talent and recognition that we are reaching a saturation point. An artist should no longer strive only for breathtaking craftsmanship; he should, instead, try to help us live better, either by dressing the wounds that are constantly being opened by society, or by offering solutions to get us out of the mess we’re in…But it’s going to be difficult and we have a lot of work to do.” - Jean 'Moebius' Giraud

Wednesday, November 14, 2007

ARZACH_90 minutes


In speaking with a friend the other night, the works of Moebius came up in the conversation, which planted the seed in my mind to do this image. When I look at Moebius' work I'm constantly trying to recalibrate whatever concepts I'm looking at because I'm either just really slow or he's just an illustrator way ahead of his time. It's a little of both, I think.

Enjoy.

Oh wait! Well wishes to my dear, dear friend and mentor Sam Liu (visit his blog, marvel at The Liu, and leave comments telling him how awesome he is) - who just got out of the hospital after getting his gall bladder removed and replaced with a cybernetic one that has X-ray capabilities, transforms into a pulse rifle, and reads high definition BluRay discs. Okay, only part of that statement is true.

So, I guess I dedicate this image to Sam because much like Arzach he also...um...likes to fish for...um...giant eggs? I dunno. Anyhoo - feel better Sam! You're gonna be back on your feet in no time.

8 comments:

Brian said...

Great skecth Eric, you really catch the mood, and thanks for the link to Sam's site, I like his stuff.

Pacco said...

No man you are great, and i'm adicted to your blog, it's just that Meobius is not from this world…
Me and my friends we call him GOD.

Anders said...

You're so right about Moebius, he is something like out of time, a modern master...
I felt so stange at his last exhibition with Miyazaki in Paris, I can't explain, I'm a fan since my childhood, but being so close from so great drawings, even if I already knew most of them almost by heart... never been "touched" by some art like this before


and by the way, this is an outstanding Arzach tribute!
hope you'll do more of these in the future! ^^'

Guillermo P. Mogorrón said...

Being honest, I must say I trully love this one, you got all the meaning and strenght that the drawing needed. But I admit that the medusabolt sketch didn't liked it to me. Sorry for saying it, I will end this post saying again how great is the Arzach drawing.

John Beatty said...

Nice work, yet again, Eric! I like the "quietness" of this one.

Also, thx 4 the link to Sam Liu! Wonderful art there!

-JBeatty

Fabio... said...

wow

hammermachine said...

Moebius was always one of my most favorite artist growing up. He probaly more than any others inspired me, I still enjoy digging out one of his old art books. Just to check out the master. Nice job.

Nelson Luty said...

Wowwwwww! Great Job men!Is very Genial!! Greatttttttt!!