“Today, in our field, there is so much talent and recognition that we are reaching a saturation point. An artist should no longer strive only for breathtaking craftsmanship; he should, instead, try to help us live better, either by dressing the wounds that are constantly being opened by society, or by offering solutions to get us out of the mess we’re in…But it’s going to be difficult and we have a lot of work to do.” - Jean 'Moebius' Giraud

Sunday, September 02, 2007

ROUGE_90 minutes


I'm watching (well...mostly listening as I draw) "HEROES Season One" DVD Box set and I can understand why people speak very highly of it. I never caught the series' original airing because I hardly have time for TV (I wish I did...free time would be nice) and whenever possible I try to watch episodes back to back to back in oder to get the full effect. Yeah, I know - it's slightly this side of OCD.

Anyhoo, even though I'm not an avid watcher of the show, I am VERY glad there is actual programming going on in television these days - instead of the regurgitated reality TV that networks have been shoveling down the public's throat for the past several years. And this one just happens to be about guys (and gals) with super powers! How awesome is that?

There are very entertaining concepts to the series so far (I'm only about 4 discs in), not the least of which is the character of Hiro Nakamura - the space/time continuum traveler from Japan. But for added comedy, one that I'm sure is unintentional on the part of the producers of the show, is how accident prone and brittle Hayden Panettiere's character is. I mean, whenever they needed to show her powers in effect (short of the self-inflicted damage she did to herself) she practically breaks in half! From her neck twisting around, to a stick shoved into the side her head, to her hands going through a glass cabinet?! Poor girl. I dunno...seemed kind of funny to me.

For those of you who've never seen it, I think it's worth the watch just so you can see what all the hubbub is about. Me, I gotta go find reference now - what the hell is 'Serenity' and 'Firefly'?

16 comments:

RLS said...

Nice! Even though I might sound totally gay here I'm going to say "I love what you did with her hair".

I got through half the season of Heroes myself but I did think that was funny too about the cheerleader. I pretty much likened it to when, back in the old WildCATS days, Spartan the android would get smashed every time there was a battle whereas all the other members turned out fine. Don't you think the mechanical being would have greater durability than plain flesh-and-blood? I dunno.

Anyway, great pic. 90 mins very well spent, I'd say.

Conrad Roset said...

Uooouuuuuuuuuu!!!
excelent jobs

robbievermillion said...

hey man
i am extremely enticed by your mentioning of serenity and firefly. your work tied with some of the greatest television and film related to tv that has been made in a long time just gets me giddy. anyway i watched all of heroes when it first aired. pretty strong show. some times some things just missed but never too severely

dmcgee said...

What Firefly is, is it's 10 TIMES THE SHOW HEROES WILL EVER BE! BWAHHAHAHH!

Serious.

Nacho said...

Fantastic fantastic... I will be addict to this blog :D

roque said...

Serenity and Firefly will ROCK you. It's the way that characters should be written. Browncoats unite!

roque said...

P.S. You should do your next sketches of characters from Heroes and Firefly.

:)

Neil Hill said...

I know exactly what you mean about DVD series being watched back-to-back, and how that increases their overall effectiveness. Also, the advent of DVD series coming out so soon after a season has ended makes catching up that much more enjoyable. Moreover, I've discovered many great series long after their initial run on TV was over- BSG, Sopranos, etc.

murf said...

Alas poor Yurick; I knew him well, Nightcrawler. Always great to visit your blog.

Speaking of heroes (not the show), have you seen the book "Soon I Will Be Invincible?"

A fun read, for comic fans.

McGone said...

Are you teasing us here: Do you have a Firefly/Serenity project in the pipeline? Because that? Would be awesome.

RAWLS said...

Hey Eric...
I was at my friend Dan's book store in Toronto, 'the Labrynth', and he showed me your 'Hannah' sketchbook...he obviously knows my style well and what i like...Very beautiful stuff my friend. Drop me a line if you're ever in Toronto. Keep up the great work!

Colin said...

Firefly was a great scifi show that wasn't allowed to grow into a hit. Serenity is the godawful movie that supposedly wraps up the story but really just leaves the viewer with more questions.

VHS said...

Beauty!!

MattKrous said...

Hey Eric, picked up Enter the Mandarin today. Good stuff man.

And definitely check out Firefly. Terrific writing and acting throughout.

Joshm said...

First off, Firefly is awesome, so you got to get that short, but amazing, series. Heroes is good so far, and like you I'm just watching it when I have time (I never watch TV, just shows I buy on DVD…it saves me time). Time is like a commodity that people should be able to buy, but no such luck.

Oh, and your work is amazing! I love the blacks you add to your work. I tend to add more lines then blacks, but I'm leaning towards the blacks more, because they have a tendency to bring the image more depth.

I'm linking your blog on my links section of my blog. I don't know why I haven't been here very often-you got mad skills.

Marcelo Braga said...

You´re the only one who can make a sketch of someone sitll with so much movement. Great!