“Today, in our field, there is so much talent and recognition that we are reaching a saturation point. An artist should no longer strive only for breathtaking craftsmanship; he should, instead, try to help us live better, either by dressing the wounds that are constantly being opened by society, or by offering solutions to get us out of the mess we’re in…But it’s going to be difficult and we have a lot of work to do.” - Jean 'Moebius' Giraud

Sunday, August 12, 2007

WIDOW, WIDOW_90 minutes


I was at city hall standing in line for something rather, thinking about how much this experience was going cost me - overdue dog licenses cost a lot, I was guessing - when from the corner of my eye I realize that the clerk behind the counter was smiling at me. She was a looker, this clerk and considering that flirting was the last thing on my mind, this was a nice distraction. So I smiled back and because I'm socially retarded, I looked away. Looking up again, I make eye contact with her, her smile was that much wider now - which is a killer to me because that's one of my weaknesses when it comes to the opposite sex...beautiful smiles. The same social retard in me kicks in and I look behind me to check to see if she was actually smiling at me and not some stunningly handsome cad that's a mix of Johnny Depp and whomever else Hollywood has manufactured to make womens' hearts swoon these days, who was standing behind me instead. And unless she had a weird fetish for older women who wore large, cable-knit sweaters and mom jeans (you know the kind of jeans I'm speaking of, yeah?), I stipulated that she was indeed - with that bright, beautiful smile - looking at me. Neato.

Now, this third time looking at her, I see her (sort of on the side and as inconspicuously as the large, open area that city hall counter tops would allow) motioning to me with her index finger to come to her. It was a nanosecond of a thought that passed through my head that said, "Dammit...I'm going to loose my place in line if I walk over there," but I decided that this kind of thing didn't happen very often (at least not to me) and I walked over to where she was. My heart was picking up in pace.

"Hi there," she said. I can see her eyes were a light crystal blue and she smelled heavenly. Killed me on the spot. "My name's Sarah."

"Oh, hi! How are you, Sarah? My name's Eric. How are you?" Yeah...I really did say it twice. At this point I was feeling sort of good about myself because this woman saw something in me that actually inspired her enough to first of all, wave me over and second of all, talk to me. I'm not much by way of being slick or suave or someone who knows how this works, so these experiences don't ever, EVER happen to me. This was new and it was awesome.

"Oh, I'm fine, thank you for asking,"
she replies.

Oh, you ARE indeed "fine", Sarah The Cute Clerk From City Hall. I'm about to have a random conversation with a pretty, pretty girl and how insane was this? Ba-bump, Ba-bump, Ba-bump went my chest.

She leaned in closer - you know, in that way that people do when they're about to tell you something they don't want broadcast to the world - opting me to do the same. At this point either my heart stopped or I became confused. Either or.

"Eric..." she started.

My eyebrow raises, inquisitively.

"Your fly is open."

23 comments:

Chris Sims said...

LMAO!!!

I hope you got your place in line back!

Ash d(-_-)b said...

That's a good one! :D

Awesome artwork too!

Roc said...

so.....did you get her number?

Brian said...

Take heart in the fact that the only reason she noticed was because that cute girl was checking YOU out my man.

vimmy fuego said...

............. so ...... they have cute clerks at City Hall, huh .....

vimmy fuego said...

........ so ..... they have cute clerks at City Hall, huh .....

Samuel Montes said...

She was totally into you eric! If not, then why would she be looking at your crotch in the first place?

gdeo said...

WTF...that was bad ass...you reeled me in my friend!

VHS said...

I think Samuel has a point. Or, y'know, could just be coincidence that she saw that your fly was open from across the room... *shrug*

Diggin' the image, per usual. I really enjoyed your Space Ghost also. Ciao.

Mat Brady said...

This is the first time I've read one of your posts. Previously I've just been drooling over your incredible art, but this was genuinely hilarious. I feel embarrassed for you, but on the other hand, you made the best of it by crafting a well-told post. Nice work. :)

Since I'm here now, Eric, I just want to say you're art work is exceptional. So incredibly dynamic. And with Saskia's colours, it becomes another level up from being extraordinary. (Extra-extraordinary?)

Big fan, right here. Keep it up, dude.

M



PS. I actually remember kind of almost working with you at Col-Tristar aaages ago. Different shows, same building. :)
http://matbrady1.googlepages.com/

Scott(y) said...

oh, it's so funny it hurts.

arnie said...

well mr. Depp, when's your next performance? and i take inspiration anywhere i can get it as well.

peace out

"90 minute sessions"

Reynes said...

Great image and nice story ! :)

Johnny B said...

Great illustration, very dynamic as usual!

Also, thanks for giving some props to the blonde Black Widow, who hasn't been treated so well in recent years...

B_Steelo said...

damn son.
Ah well, at least she told you.
The saga continues...

Mike Boldt said...

Oh man that was very funny! Such great writing too! Great timing and delivery there Eric. You could be a writer too.

The illustration is awesome as well - as per usual and totally expected now haha!

Thanks for the comments on my blog, it's huge to have someone of your caliber adding comments. I appreciate the time.

Don't forget to finish off that story!

Mat Brady said...

This is the first time I've read one of your posts. Previously I've just been drooling over your incredible art, but this was genuinely hilarious. I feel embarrassed for you, but on the other hand, you made the best of it by crafting a well-told post. Nice work. :)

Since I'm here now, Eric, I just want to say you're art work is exceptional. So incredibly dynamic. And with Saskia's colours, it becomes another level up from being extraordinary. (Extra-extraordinary?)

Big fan, right here. Keep it up, dude.

M



PS. I actually remember kind of almost working with you at Col-Tristar aaages ago. Different shows, same building. (MIB,BigGuy,etc) :)
http://matbrady1.googlepages.com/

Kristina Bustamante said...

How unfortunate. I was actually expecting that story to have a happy ending, much like Kevin Smith's story of when he and his wife had sex for the first time. Er, even though that story had some painful and gruesome aspects to it that I'm not going to explain here. Haha!

Also, cool artwork as always!

Mark Behm said...

Ha hah hah. Whew. Great delivery. I love your sense of design. Erm..not the fly and the pretty girl tho. That hits too close to home.

Lue Sang said...

Ouch.


lol. Thanks for sharing that gem, Eric. I'm hoping that you two actually got to talking after that 'smooth icebreaker' and now you got somewhere going with Sarah the Cute Clerk this weekend :D

Great work as always. YOur stuff truly inspires me.

ryan cody said...

fucking awesome.

Randeep Katari said...

fantastic work.
The story...wow, was hilarious.

-R.

ANX said...

Hey man, I feel your pain there. Personally because the social haterizer that I am would probably have said.

"Did you get a look? Because that's not a ferret. That's all me. Yup, 13 inches and it's covered in hair all the way to the tip."