“Today, in our field, there is so much talent and recognition that we are reaching a saturation point. An artist should no longer strive only for breathtaking craftsmanship; he should, instead, try to help us live better, either by dressing the wounds that are constantly being opened by society, or by offering solutions to get us out of the mess we’re in…But it’s going to be difficult and we have a lot of work to do.” - Jean 'Moebius' Giraud

Friday, August 03, 2007

START, STOP, CARROT TOP_90 minutes



I'm home and I'm tired. Go figure. It might be because that San Diego Comic Con is creatively exhilarating when you're there, but much like a candy bar-induced sugar high, you'll go through a crash once that sh*t wears out. Anyhoo, I tried to get back into the swing of things by doing the 90 minute exercises again... and... um... for those who've asked if I ever have an off day creatively, the answer is, "Yes. Yes, I do. And that day is every day this week after I got home from the Comic Con." Ugh. I'll post cards later instead. I feel terrible about neglecting my blog.

If you want inspiration, go visit Gabriele Pennacchioli's blog - inspiration galore. He was very, very kind to me when we met at the show and even afforded me some of his time for a small chat. I can only hope to draw as well as him someday. Oh, and notice the picture he has up of himself (left, back to camera), animation legend Eric Goldberg (right) and me (middle). It's like that seminal scene in the movie 'Heat' where Paccino finally does a face to face with DeNiro in the diner. It's totally f*ckin' awesome, right? Two men representing a craft that only a lucky few can even *dream* of being close to, both in the same place? But in this version a 'roided up Carrot Top shows up, does that creepy smile of his, and screws the whole thing up.

I am Carrot Top.

5 comments:

VHS said...

Hi Eric -

I met you briefly at ComicCon... or more accurately, I asked you to do a sketch of Rogue for me in my sketchbook. Thanks a lot!! Thought I'd drop by and make myself known to you, and say that I really appreciate your blog-work. I've been following for a little while now. Keep it up, I hope to meet you again and maybe have a chat sometime. Cheers!

VHS said...

Oh yeah, sorry, I also meant to ask where I might be able to send you a scan of the Rogue you drew for me in case you want it...?

CosmicPencil said...

Eric,

I have neglected your blog this week, and came upon these two posts.
I read this one and realized that it's a good thing that I am not the only one who's creative flow takes a vacation after SDCC.
Exhausting but inspiring con. Glad it only happens once a year, and it's honestly the only BIG convention that I attend.

I'll try to neglect your blog less.

-matt

Viola Baier said...

Wow, amazing art here! The muscles on the upper image are incredible; you almost feel them just by watching.

Many Greetz

charlieclark said...

I have got to ask how did you learn how to draw like this? Who and what are your inspirations so I can go out and steal all your ideas! love your stuff!