“Today, in our field, there is so much talent and recognition that we are reaching a saturation point. An artist should no longer strive only for breathtaking craftsmanship; he should, instead, try to help us live better, either by dressing the wounds that are constantly being opened by society, or by offering solutions to get us out of the mess we’re in…But it’s going to be difficult and we have a lot of work to do.” - Jean 'Moebius' Giraud

Saturday, August 04, 2007

SDCC 07 ART_aftermath







Because I came off like such a downer on the previous post, I wanted to put up the images I drew at the convention and make up for the 'tired as hell' post. I'm sorry for the poor quality of these images as most of this stuff was taken with my digital camera. But whatever.

So, the first three (you know, the ones that are really blown-out in white) are images from peoples' sketchbooks. The one titled 'Courtesan' is from Gabriele Pennacchioli's book (in which I'm in way over my head because the other illustrators found therein are such delicate, talented craftsmen). The single Wolverine image was done for the ninja-like commissioner Cory Walker - the brilliant illustrator who received well-due notoriety for his initial run on the critically acclaimed book 'Invincible' from Image Comics. I say 'ninja-like' because Cory and I didn't even make formal introductions at all! He came by the table, asked for the sketch (I smiled a little at the request as I found it quite amusing that I was about to draw Wolverine again - a character I have no business drawing because I depict him like such a mongoloid), I charged him money, drew the image and off he went! Only later did I get an e-mail from him with the attached image and a note thanking me for my time. Dang-nabbit! I'm a proponent for Cory's work and I wish we could've chatted a bit. Maybe next time.

The last three (Warmachine, X-23&Wolverine, Preacher) are commissions. The 'Preacher' one was quite a weird challenge - someone wanted me to recreate the cover that Glenn Fabry did and I was more happy to do so, but it's embarrassing to realize that I'm not going to do it as well as the original. So the challenge was to not make a complete ass of myself by re-drawing it. I've included the original cover (sans logo) next to it so you all can compare and see the tragic attempt in which I tried to reproduced it. Ugh.

I drew more images, mind you - sketches and such. But I wasn't mindful enough to take photos of those. Only later (much, much later) did I realize, "Oh, wait...I'm supposed to take pictures of these damn things for my own records." Ah, well. So if you are one of the few who were actually kind enough to ask me for a sketch and are actually still visiting this blog, would you mind terribly if you sent me a scan of whatever chicken scratches I managed to draw in your books? If it's not too much trouble, that is. Just go into my profile there on the right and you should find an e-mail to send a scan/photo/whatever to, yeah? Okay, thanks in advance.

I also took a picture (the only voluntary one I took all weekend) with a cosplayer who dressed up like Molotov Cocktease from the 'Venture Bros.' teevee show and I was about to put it up here. But I have a sh*t-eating grin on my face which is really embarrassing. Though the funnier aside is the way I got her attention in order to take said picture.

"Hey! Cocktease!" I said, pointing at her with my fanboy finger. Why do the ladies stay away, I wonder to myself daily. I have my theories.

Anyway - many, many, MANY thanks to those of you who dropped by the table, talked it up with me, bought a print, original art, sketchbooks, etc. You made my convention experience a very pleasurable one.

15 comments:

arnie said...

i noticed you had to "90-minute sessions" sketch books on your table so i just kept on walking... lol actually i didn't even get in the show, and i'm hating myself, because guess what I GOT NO SKETCHES FROM ERIC CAH_NE_TEE. i hate the con...

se ya next year.

peace out

Chris Sims said...

Are you gonna be at chicago con this year. If so I would be more than happy to harrass you.

Reynes said...

So beautiful works ! Great inking, your characters are really "alive".

Gunt said...

I'm really fan of your work... Your line is beautiful...

Guillermo P. Mogorrón said...

Great work on those inks.

John Beatty said...

Your Wolverine is tops! After Iron Man...a Wolvie Mini-Series by you would be kool!

Any luck with [JUMP]?

Thx 4 sharing!
-JBeatty

Craig Zablo said...

Great job on the pieces. I like YOUR version of Wolverine. Walker has a cool spin on him too. Too bad you two didn't get to spend some time getting to know each other. It would be interesting to see you two team for a drawing... maybe even a Wolverine!

Kactiguy said...

I've never been to the con, but seeing these sketches really makes me want to go. Great stuff as usual.

ryan cody said...

Yeah, I love your Wolverine, I would pay money for a Wolverine series for the first time in 17 years if you did it. Nice finally meeting you as well, you are entirely too humble.

Ramses said...

Yes! fantastic character design!

Jonboy! said...

Gahhh I missed you at SDCC--everytime i stopped by you weren't there at the Black Velet Studios booth.....I'm dying to get a commission from you....maybe next year...keep up the great work man! Loving the Marvel Masterpiece Skethcards too btw!

Gary Fitzgerald said...

sent the 'noir' and 'desert' sketches on.. the other's will follow when I get that book back..

Gaz.

Piram said...

Your work is so perfect , I love the curves you're able to give to your characters, and your ink is simply monstruous. I sit possible to buy your comics and sketchbook in France ?

Isaac Jadraque Gómez said...

Great work!

Regards from spain

Isaac

dustin said...

you know when i was in artist alley, i realized it woudl have been faster for me to - right now, get in my car, and drive from mine, to your house, rather than walk across the convention floor that weekend from aisle 5100 to 700 to see you.

and thats really why i didtn stop to say hi.

ill be over this weekeend.