“Today, in our field, there is so much talent and recognition that we are reaching a saturation point. An artist should no longer strive only for breathtaking craftsmanship; he should, instead, try to help us live better, either by dressing the wounds that are constantly being opened by society, or by offering solutions to get us out of the mess we’re in…But it’s going to be difficult and we have a lot of work to do.” - Jean 'Moebius' Giraud

Thursday, August 23, 2007

THE IRONMAN COMETH_update



"September," people keep telling me. "That's when Iron Man: Enter The Mandarin comes out."

"Oh, good,"
I think to myself. Then my stomach turns a little.

Here's the thing, I don't pay attention to when my work debuts because, well...to be perfectly honest, it's a nerve-wracking concept for me. At least I *try* not to pay attention. I used to - I mean, I loved the attention that Cybernary 2.0 got when I saw the ad in Wizard magazine! It was a hoot to see those same ads run in a lot of DC books. I thought, "This is it! This is SO awesome!" I was *so* about the hype. Ugh - I was such a kid.

Now I'm an old man and the hype scares the hell out of me.

IM:ETM was/is a project and an experiment to do something under the radar; to do something for my again-foray into the comicbook scene without the pressures of a mainstream title. At least that's what I thought in my head. I don't know what I was thinking. Marvel is obviously doing all they can to promote the book and with the new movie coming out I'm not sure how under the radar it's going to be. The good news is the response, from people I've met at the shows and online (message boards can be an evil, evil place sometimes) has been , overall, pretty favorable. The bad news is... actually, come to think of it, there is no 'bad' news, per se. It's all decent news. I'm just so much more aware that people are...aware, and I'm obviously no longer 'under the radar'. It's an odd feeling of wondering whether or not the book will deliver.

But you know who DOES deliver? Motherf*ckin' DAVE STEWART! Look at the work he's done on this page! IM is going to be launched like a bomb and the mood and feel of that experience is enhanced and captured perfectly by Dave's awesome palette. There's some good people I'm working for on the creative front - from Dave to Joe Casey - and between the two of them, I hope I'm not the weakest link.

The point is, the book comes out next month. Please help out my experiment by checking it out and picking it up. I'd be much obliged.

My stomach is turning again.

19 comments:

Shawn Crystal said...

The book ooks AMAZING, from what i've seen. Many artists i know are buzzing about the images you've shown thus far. You're stomach shouldn't be turning. This work is inspiring.

Chris Sims said...

Dont worry Eric, You'll do just fine and the comic will probably sell out because of your gazillion fans. You know we support you!

I got yo back, playa!

Guillermo P. Mogorrón said...

Keep your stomach buzzing mate, thats the sign of what you are doing is the right direction.

Carlos V. said...

I cant wait!! Its definetly going to be a must have for me....calling the comic shop ahead of time for this one. Great work Eric!!

Chris Battle said...

Looks awesome. Man up and eat some Tums... we're all buying it for sure!

Toyebot said...

Yeah dude, this is the stuff! Your work is very dynamic and has alot of style! I'm buying!

roque said...

Not to add to the hype but I am constantly AMAZED at your artwork. Unbelievable!

dmcgee said...

Can't wait champ!

ryan cody said...

Gorgeous Eric, like Shawn said, I have heard nothing but genuine praise from everybody I know that have seen these pages.

Nerd Deluxe said...

I think the colors work REALLY well with your lines. It's gonna be a great book man!

Brian said...

Wow, what a great sequence. Dave is a giant, no question, but you are more than pulling your weight on this one.

Gabriele Pennacchioli said...

Exellent page!

gdeo said...

Don't worry Bud the stuff i've seen looks kick ass...i'll be picking up a couple of copies..gotta support ya.

El Vlasco said...

Hi Eric, long time without know about you, but as soon i know about this new project i keep a eye over it.
is already in my pull list a dye for see it soon in my hands.
Good luck gor you ;)
JV

Reynes said...

I'll have to get it ! I hope I can order it on the net.

dustin said...

well im glad you're at least enjoying working with Joe Casey, i personally cant stand the guy or his work. or his fancy fancy sunglasses.

Benjamin Hall said...

I for one can't wait for this to come out. It's looks stellar.

Leaf said...

It's been on my pull list for a month or so now. Can't wait, 'cuz it looks fantastic.

Neil Hill said...

There's a reason the great Mike Mignola trusts only one colorist (Dave Stewart) to color his work these days. Dave is amazing, as are you, Eric!

As an artist myself I can certainly empathize with your desire to fly under the radar, however, just imagine the opportunities inherent in getting your work in front of a larger audience. Not just the possible job opportunities (which I doubt you need any help with), but the opportunities to touch some fans life somewhere out in the world. You truly never know who's reading your work, and the fact that you could be influencing some future great artist in some far flung corner of Timbuktu, should be motivation enough. At least, that's how I look at it. :-}