“Today, in our field, there is so much talent and recognition that we are reaching a saturation point. An artist should no longer strive only for breathtaking craftsmanship; he should, instead, try to help us live better, either by dressing the wounds that are constantly being opened by society, or by offering solutions to get us out of the mess we’re in…But it’s going to be difficult and we have a lot of work to do.” - Jean 'Moebius' Giraud

Wednesday, August 08, 2007

ARGH!_commission


I don't know why it's taken me so long, but I wanted to come on here and tell all five of you who visit this blog that I will *NOT* be attending this year's Wizard World: Chicago. The reason being is that SDCC really killed my schedule and now deadlines are bearing down on me like a two ton elephant. So yeah - sorry folks, no Chicago for me. And again, my apologies for not coming on here and saying so earlier than I am right now.

On another note, Ivan Brandon's new TPB/Anthology "24/7 Vol.2" premiered at San Diego Comic Con this year, and then the launch party rolled into L.A.'s Meltdown Comics a week thereafter. I had a story in the first collection (thanks to Ivan's invitation and his crisp writing style - he wrote the story I did. Natch), but I am *so* genuinely jealous because of the set of creators that have participated in this latest incarnation. My suggestion is that you go check it out (better yet - BUY IT!), go to the Image Comics Message Board and tell Ivan what a genius/monster he is for gathering such a talented bunch of forward-thinking creators to work on the book. I don't know how he pulled it off (he wouldn't tell me when I was grilling him about it), but here's hoping he does a Vol. 3 so that I can make up for the mess I turned in the first time 'round. Haha! Just kidding, Ivan.

Okay, I don't have much by way of commentary about the image above. It's an Aztec/Mayan guy bashing a guy's jaw off. Don't talk to me about reference or accuracy either - I don't know what that is. You want accurate?! YOU effin' draw it!

Ah... nothing says 'professional' like bringing an overly defensive argument down to a 4th grade level. Have a great week, everyone.

22 comments:

***** said...

great stuff here on your blog. great artist!
Peter

Lue Sang said...

lol.

Great illustration as usual, Eric. I'll look into buying that 24/7 Vol.2 asap.

Keep up the wonderful work.

Alewar said...

Ha! I guess we're the three out of his five readers.
Nice illustrations. If I ever have the funds to start my own comic book company. You'll be one of the 1st I call.

charlieclark said...

man oh man, can you be any more dynamic than you are! I will also have to look for this new book when it comes out! So I guess I am 4? ha!

John Beatty said...

#4, here! Nice drawing...good power!

I need to pick up Ivan's books. I've just been putting off so much...

...ahhh...4th grade...the good ole' dayz...

-JBeatty

Nerd Deluxe said...

Awesome movement in the pose!

Kim Loh said...

Yay! So glad to see you're posting regularly again. :) Love the Jump pages!

Reynes said...

Great composition and movement.

Neil said...

Blog reader roll-call: #8? Present.

Leaf said...

Make it 9 readers...

Your style never ceases to amaze, Eric. Eagerly anticipating 'Enter The Mandarin."

Chris Sims said...

I thought I was number 2 after Jon Tsuei but I guess these cats think they can come and take my spot!

Anyway, bummer you wont be in Chicago. First, Sanford Greene, now you. At least I can kick it with Keron Grant again this year.

RLS said...

Another fantastic one, Eric. That has Frazetta-like energy to it. I love the composition.

LFW said...

wow! I just found this here awsome blog, you are a rockin' artist, I love all your drawings, they have so much goodness about them

your new fan

-LFW

davidjamescole said...

great composition on this piece. the torso of the top-most character is very bruce timm-esque, in my opinion. good stuff :)

Emanuele said...

Great work!!

Mike Boldt said...

Just an amazing understanding of anatomy as well as composition. I love this blog. Keep it up.

Ramses said...

Awesome!

Tobias Schwarz said...

great style!

sarah said...

Hey Eric! It was so great to meet you at the Comic-Con. I'm such a fan of your work. Wonderful lines in this one. Hope the deadlines don't get too brutal. :)

Tevik Avakyan said...

Wow, very intense piece. I love your composition and expressive style, great work!

bryce collins said...

i think it's pretty darn accurate. good job, and thank you for the piece :)

Neil Hill said...

You'll hear no argument from me, Eric. Great commission piece!