“Today, in our field, there is so much talent and recognition that we are reaching a saturation point. An artist should no longer strive only for breathtaking craftsmanship; he should, instead, try to help us live better, either by dressing the wounds that are constantly being opened by society, or by offering solutions to get us out of the mess we’re in…But it’s going to be difficult and we have a lot of work to do.” - Jean 'Moebius' Giraud

Saturday, July 07, 2007

SKETCHCARDS_update


"CONGRATULATIONS! You are now the proud owner of an original piece of hand-drawn Marvel Art."

That's what it says on the back of each and every blank sketch card that Upper Deck has sent me - as seen in the bottom right of the image above. I had promised to do about 150 'sketch' images on these cards, which will then be randomly packed with their 'Marvel Masterpieces' collector sets. Now, I don't know what the other artists for this series are doing - the level of detail, the amount of work they're putting into them (considering it's only supposed to be a sketch), etc. - but these are my offerings.

And since it takes me forever to do 90 minute sketches (well, 'forever' by way of an hour and a half) and these don't take nearly as long, that's what you're going to be getting a steady diet of for the next few days. I've decided to put up one at a time until I finish about 150 of them. Please keep in mind they're not all going to be gems - my bet is that I'll mess up more than I get right. The card measures about 2.5"x3.5" and presents quite a drawing challenge. More often than not I'm going to be limited to drawing just bust shots of the characters and after about 20 or 30 of them, I'm more than likely going to be mimicking previous poses. But whatever...I figured when it's all said and done, I'm going to have quite a portfolio piece(s) to talk about, yeah? It should be fun. And *AND* it should supplement those pesky, time consuming 90 minute ditties that really get in the way of actual work-work, yeah?

So, I started off trying to do Spider-man villains because that's what I saw on the back of the cards (and I thought that it might be a Spider-man line they had going...who knows), but now I'm just drawing whatever the heck comes to mind. I'll still include the other Spidey baddies I've done, but those will come later. I've done about 20 so far of which these are only three. Like I said, they'll all be up here eventually . So for now, I hope you enjoy.

OH! And another thing - I'm trying *NOT* to go to the obvious characters right away. Captain America, Iron Man, et al. I'm going to be getting to those guys for sure, but I remember when I used to flip through those old school 'Marvel Universe' handbooks and thought how cool the other heroes and villains were, made better by the fact that some of my favorite artists were drawing them. So I'm going to try other guys for now. Then maybe towards the end of 150 I'll do the franchise players. So there you go. Thanks for looking!

8 comments:

Lue Sang said...

Great sketches so far!

Doing 150 of them sounds a bit daunting. Drawing on such a small surface, I'd imagine there's only so much that can be done, but from looking at your previous work, and what you've done on these 3 cards, I'd say you're more than up to the task!

Keep the great work coming, Eric!

Brian said...

The level of detail you're putting in looks about right to me for a "sketch" card.

You'll see other examples posted around where the artists go "all out" doing little masterpieces that are more appropriately called "art" cards rather than a "sketch" card. Apparently the real money in doing these is not in the buck a card the company pays, but in the fact that you get some of your cards back, with some companies you get to pick the ones you want, or you get some "official" blank cards that you can keep and draw whatever you want. There is a big collectibles market for the "sketch cards" and they can go for hundreds of dollars.

Craig Zablo said...

Great start... and we have 147 more to look forward to! It'll be cool to see some of the "minor players" get their due!

gdeo said...

these are fantastic as usual....but more detailed than others that i've seen..whoever gets one of your cards is a lucky person indeed.

cory j walker said...

I am doing a few of these myself, and I was curious as to how well the cards hold ink, and what you're using to draw on them? I was only sent the exact amount of cards that I agreed to do, so I don't have one that I can test pens on and stuff.

Thanks in advance.

These all look great, btw.

COMIKXGUY said...

KAHN!

"CONGRATULATIONS! You are now the proud owner of an original piece of hand-drawn Marvel Art."

so...whatcha do to win them all ?

:) j/k

look forward to them

Chrispy said...

DAMN ERIK! You make these things look like they're 8.5x11, haha. You are right they definitely pose a GREAT drawing canundrum, im still trying to get used to the fact that they are so small, but these are definitely an inspiration. I gotta do 200 od these damn things, lol. FUN! Again man, sick cards yo, PEACE!

apk said...

I hate the Silver Samauri as a character, but I want that card. God I want that card.

What a perfect sketch. Mr. Canete, you never cease to amaze me. Thanks for the blog.