“Today, in our field, there is so much talent and recognition that we are reaching a saturation point. An artist should no longer strive only for breathtaking craftsmanship; he should, instead, try to help us live better, either by dressing the wounds that are constantly being opened by society, or by offering solutions to get us out of the mess we’re in…But it’s going to be difficult and we have a lot of work to do.” - Jean 'Moebius' Giraud

Monday, July 23, 2007

JUMP_update









Okay, for reasons known to most of you, I will not be able to post this coming week - Comic Con International: San Diego (do they still call it that?) will be here and I am an attendee starting Wednesday night.

On to some business: We (Black Velvet Studios) will be at our regular spot at the show, Booth E1 in the Small Press Area. Please drop by and check us out. You'll catch me and the guys and more than likely, the ultra-talented Lauren Montgomery sitting at the table (probably because were drop-dead tired from all the walking around) selling our wares; I'll have a colored print of the 'Belle' image that I've posted here before. The image was beautifully rendered and colored by the incomparable Saskia Gutekunst (thank you for the collaboration, Miss. You are as gracious as you are talented). I'll post that colored version later on today as Saskia did such a beautiful job of it that you need to see it and amaze at her wonder. I think I'll also have the originals for the Iron Man: Enter The Mandarin mini I'm doing for those interested enough to preview them. And Lauren and I might even do some commissions while were there. Again, please drop by and chat it up with us, get a sketch, check us out.

Anyhoo... my buddy Jonathan Tsuei has written a 44 page one-shot called 'JUMP' that I'm illustrating and hopefully we can get it published someplace. Jon's an aspiring, young writer who focuses on good character development, high concept ideas, and big picture story arcs - I hope I can finish all 44 pages sooner rather than later so that he can get his due and if you'd like to know more about the images above, you should ask him about it directly - just follow the link. In all honesty, I have no idea what the story is about - Jon just gave me $5.00 and a couple of Burger King coupons to talk him up, so here I am. Heh. Just kidding, Jon.

Seriously, folks - these preview pages are samples from our project which Jon will be carrying around with him at the show (along with said Burger King coupons). He'll be showing them to editors in order to appropriate his first pro writing gig. Let's all give Jon a pat on the back and a hearty good luck for his upcoming endeavors. If you guys don't know it already, getting a writing gig in comics is an uphill climb and I admire and respect anyone trying to break in on that front. *And* going to try it at Comic Con?!? That's just plain CRAZY! But Jon's screwey enough in the head to go for it and he has an exciting challenge in front of him and I've gotta respect him for the experience he's willing to subject himself to. Haha! Give 'em hell, kid.

So, for those of you who just got here: No post for this week(except for the forthcoming colored 'Belle' image). Drop by the table and say 'Hey!' to the guys, me and Lauren. Give Jon a job.

Have a good week, all. I'll see you at the big show.

26 comments:

Nerd Deluxe said...

Wow! Eric, these are really nice. I really dig on the action and composition. I'd buy this up in a snap. The sequence with the guy getting flung is great.

Can't wait to see teh Iorn Man pages.

Chris Sims said...

I want Jump, now!!!

as well as Obelisk!

You slacking homie. I mean what do you do all day?!?

Roc said...

i dont even know what to say to these..... just teach me.....i'm so serious.

comicsubz said...

I would buy this as well. But you must keep it black and white!!!

Just gorgeous.

H!

Michael Pfeffer said...

I love how everything looks dirty but is clean.

The art is like those certain people who can wake up with bedhead and look ready to go out on the town.

Of course I'm betting that is exactly what you were going for...

Scott(y) said...

wow. very nice.

Monkeyfeather said...

Wow, Jump looks fantastic!!! I'll have to stop by your table. Your work is really great. There is a lot of nice energy to your drawings.

Chrispy said...

Seriously, WTF!.......im speechless yo, rediculous man, REDICULOUS!

Saskia said...

I thank YOU for give me your lineart .) I wish, i could go to the comic con...it msu be a big one, since evryone is talkign about it .)

I don´t know what to say about the pages, unless that they are super awsome. Is the whole work with almost no text? Thos are hard to do and i really like how you solve this task. MOAR !!!!

As mentioned above, i´m learning from your work !

roque said...

I'm definitely stopping by!

Saskia said...

and thank you for the link (o.o)/ if you have the time, could you link to my blogspot , please? I just barely update the devart account :(

chamba said...

the preview pages are looking mighty slick!

and i shall DEFINITELY drop by the booth. Scope out what you'se are sellin and what not and yeah.

[. _] said...

maaan. I love her face when she runs into the dude at the end.

csteingart said...

Freakin' off tha hook bro!!!!!!!!! Soooo good.

John Beatty said...

Love the "JUMP" preview! I hope it gets picked up by someone, or you guys publish it yourselfs...it needs to see print!

Again...such energy in the work you do...very nice!!!

-JBeatty

COMIKXGUY said...

a "jump" and a "job" um...ok

but he's gonna have ta take me out somewhere :) j/k

Thierry martin said...

waw, style graphique très efficace pour la bande dessinée, bravo.

Toyebot said...

absolutely stunning!
love your work!
cheeers
wish i were going to con!

davidjamescole said...

jump looks awesomeeeeee..... seriously can't wait for your iron man issues, dude. definitely be checking out your booth at san diego.
best wishes.

Benjamin Hall said...

Those pages are AMAZING!!!

Simply amazing......

wow.

Scott said...

Wow man that book looks crazy! That cover (?) totally reminds me of an old Masmune Shiro piece is a VERY good way.

Good luck to Jon!

Nexxorcist said...

dear lord, eric. you just made me shit my pantalones azules!

BEN said...

UAOOOOOO!!! FANTASTIC!! the composition, the dynamic..amazing work!! complimentsssssssss

Walter Gatus said...

Hey Eric, It was great o see you at the con. I'm glad I picked up your book. Great stuff. Keep it going bro. You're inspiring a whole generation of artists.

CEREAL KILLER said...

man i love that cover....indeed i am using it as background on my computer,
love it!

( =__=)/

Mauro said...

What a comic!!! great storytelling! finish please, i want to buy one!