“Today, in our field, there is so much talent and recognition that we are reaching a saturation point. An artist should no longer strive only for breathtaking craftsmanship; he should, instead, try to help us live better, either by dressing the wounds that are constantly being opened by society, or by offering solutions to get us out of the mess we’re in…But it’s going to be difficult and we have a lot of work to do.” - Jean 'Moebius' Giraud

Tuesday, July 10, 2007

ELEKTRA_sketchcard


Thank you to all that have left positive comments regarding the first few cards that I've posted thus far. I really appreciate it. But something has come up and has me slightly concerned.

There were a few of you who have mentioned that the detail of the images I've done have inspired you to do the same with the ones you are responsible for. While I find that flattering and humbling, I would seriously, strongly recommend against it. Keep in mind that this is all just my personal opinion and ultimately you artists can do whatever you want, but please consider the small (almost microscopic) monetary compensation we're receiving for these and you should realize that it doesn't make much sense why you'd spend any considerable amount of time per card. It's just not very smart (we'll get to why I'm not as smart as I seem in a second here - bear with me). If you were to ask for my opinion...well, I'd say, "Draw whatever the hell you want." But please don't use these overworked images that I'm doing as a point of reference. Some of us need to eat and I don't know if we can live off of the production of these cards. You're time is better invested in something that has healthier rate of return. Does that make sense?

As for me, I'm an idiot and I have brain damage. Synapses don't fire correctly in my head. Ask anyone who knows me. Want proof? They're supposed to be 'sketch cards' but I'm doing full-on illustrations on a few of them. Not smart. And the time I spend on these could be better spent slamming my head into drywall. Which I do. Which explains why I'm an idiot, why I have brain damage and why synapses blah, blah, blah. Seriously, I've more than a fair share of people asking me, "WTF are you drawing so much for?!?" And they're right.

So to recap: Thanks for the kind words. Draw what you want, but if you don't have to, please don't draw more than what's necessary. I'm an idiot who draws too much.

Anyway - 'Elektra'. Enjoy.

11 comments:

Kylie DiOrio said...

I've been checkin' your blog for a while, and I whole heartedly admit I love your work(as do others..many others). And...I understand what you're saying to others, and I agree.

But for you, at least don't call yourself dumb for doing what you do. I think it's very enjoyable that you'll do a sketch or a fullblow illustration for these cards. Might seem like a waste but if you enjoy doing something like that, then that's well enough in my book. And sorry for butting in on that. A-hah.

PS: You can never sketch enough, because i'm selfish and I wanna see more of your work. And the Elektra card so VERY awesome. I love the sense of movement in the hair, curles EVERYWHERE. And your sense of lineweight is mon fabo. Plus the way the face is done in general makes me salivate.

Tony Shasteen said...

Hey Eric, don't worry about unwarranted inspiration! What I always admire in your work is the dynamic energy. That's what motivates me more than the detail. I look at these cards as a good warm up before I start working. The cards force me to be faster, care more about energy, and less about the amount of detail I put into them. They force me to sketch, and I don't get enough of that these days.

Chris Battle said...

WOW! Awesome Elektra card. It'd make a super-cool bookmark for my Elektra: Assassin hardcover....

Exactly when will you begin accepting bribes...?

Craig Zablo said...

Thanks for letting us enjoy another great card and for making us smile from your commentary!

Guillermo P. Mogorrón said...

I can understand both sides, your cards with much work and other ones with some less, and what matters is the quality of the drawing. Sometimes we are lucky and 3 lines make the perfect drawing, no more need. And sometimes each line is a fight, and you need more to get the one that you are looking for.
Only each artist should be his own judge, choosing what they show to the world.
If yours have more detail, perfect, thats how you work. But other artist need to keep their point of view, no matter how you work.
Same applies to you, of course, dont drop the level just because someone else does, only you know what is your path.
Sorry for the long comment..:)

arnie said...

"I'm an idiot who draws too much."
welcome to the club. thier needs to be a drawing anonymos or something for us. anyways yes you speak truth, but the labor in these will not go unappriciated to those of us whom admire your work.

nice drawing

peace out

Nexxorcist said...

yo eric, you should totally draw batman on one of them.

Marcelo Braga said...

Thanks for drawing too much, man. Too much good drawind for us to see! :)

Lue Sang said...

While I don't do sketch cards, and am not a professional by any means, your comments make perfect sense.

... however, your work is an inspiration (to myself and many other clearly) that makes us all want to do better.

Love the cards. So far I think Ghost Rider and Elektra are my favorites!

Lauren said...

Is that Cher?

BigG said...

I must say that I am quite happy with you being an idiot who draws to much. It gives me great joy to look at your work. So, this is the only time i'll ever say this..."keep being an idiot!"