“Today, in our field, there is so much talent and recognition that we are reaching a saturation point. An artist should no longer strive only for breathtaking craftsmanship; he should, instead, try to help us live better, either by dressing the wounds that are constantly being opened by society, or by offering solutions to get us out of the mess we’re in…But it’s going to be difficult and we have a lot of work to do.” - Jean 'Moebius' Giraud

Friday, May 18, 2007

IRON MAN_preview

Thanks to Chris for bringing this to my attention. Up at Newsarama.com they (and by 'they' I mean Stephen Wacker and Marvel) have previews of a few pages from the first issue of IM I'm working on. Go here then scroll down a bit, towards the bottom third of the article:

IROM MAN: ENTER THE MANDARIN

I am flattered by the preview - floored, actually. But see, here's the thing: I'm in that article with a bunch of other super-talented artists who are doing work and producing images that are so - for the lack of a better word - 'POP', that by comparison, I come off as an old, decrepit, derelict! To me, the other images they have up there are like the visual equivalent of modern bands being played on MTV's 'TRL' rotation, while I'm at dive bars performing Johnny Cash standards. I swear it's almost embarrassing.

Anyway, thanks for the heads-up, Chris. I'm going to go cover NIN's 'Hurt' now.

17 comments:

OWEN FREEMAN said...

Congratulations, Eric! The pages look great, just keep walking the line ;)

attila adorjany said...

Jeez - you're one mighty humble bumble.


Really looking forward to seeing the rest of your IM stuff cause it looks stellar.

Nerd Deluxe said...

Eric, these are awesome. That perspective shot on the first page shown, as you are looking into the bedroom is great. I love the space that you have created.

Again, can't wait for this!

Mark said...

You are mad, 'cus your work is the best stuff on that page. If it could be any more "pop", it'd be Britney Spears doing Amyl Nitrate.

Chris Sims said...

You're being to hard on yourself bro. Lighten up and recognize that YOU DA MAN!!!

Michael_Matherne said...

Really looking forward to Enter The Mandarin! I always got the impression that the Mandarin was an evil Iron Fist on crack in those old stories, yet at the same time the art could not do him justice. It will be really fun to see Mandarin's super-kung-fu chi stuff done with energy and a real eye for how that kind of character should move and fight.

Seth said...

That cover is a Rocketeer reference, isn't it? Awesome!

bobthiele said...

So this is a mini series?
I don't follow Iron man comics so I wouldn't know.

But I'm guessing that this will have a paperback, by the time the film comes out?

I'm really liking that art deco cover.

Carlos V. said...

Dude I can't wait!! I think your stuff is so DOPE!!! You are a big inspiration my friend. I don't know what you mean by your stuff being old fashioned, I think you are cutting edge, keep up the amazing goodness!!

John said...

I wish the book was black and white

Brian said...

The cover is slamming and I really liked the interior pages as I thought the story telling was really solid.

If this is "old fashioned" than grab me a shawl and a rocking chair, because I want more.

Gary Fitzgerald said...

more cutting edge than anyone else on that page.. or in most comics..
great pages.

Saskia said...

sweet work :D Your style is easy to recognise and a beautiful sight :)

Lue Sang said...

I really wish I could say something besides 'Your stuff looks excellent!' and 'Can't wait to get my hands on this!' but...

... that's all I got.

You're an inspiration, sir.

Angel with a crooked halo said...

I can't stand Iron Man- but that cover alone has me sold- it's banging- as is the rest of the previewed art! Can't wait!

trialsze said...

Bro that Iron Man stuff rocks. Kind of looks different from your norm though.

Michael_Matherne said...

Woot! The solicit is up for the first issue of Enter The Mandarin! :-) Looking forward to some evil Iron Fist action!