First, let me thank those of you who have left a kind word about the last few pieces I've exhibited on here. They're not taken directly from the side project I'm doing, but they're the inspirational images I keep around so that the fire stays lit under my butt in order to get it done. I'll be honest with you now and tell you that they're not working all that well because...um...there's always something else on my plate. You might be able to tell what that is from the pictures/panels above. I'll get to this in a little bit.
Before that though, I've gotten questions via e-mail and I've been rude with the non-answers, so here it goes:
- I typically color with Photoshop (PS/CS2, to be exact). I have a WACOM Cintiq because I don't have the coordination to look up at a screen and draw below and to the left of that (hand/eye coordination sucks...and so do my video game Tekken prowess, for that matter). That answers the 'left hand vs. right hand' question yes?
- I sometimes work with markers (I suck at them and have to constantly adjust them with PS before I even have the nerve to upload them here) and my weapon of choice is the brand that COPIC makes- their colors are nice and vibrant and I highly recommend them.
- '90 minutes' is all I give myself because outside of doing chores, deadlines, and the occasional movie, that's all the time I have for extracurricular activity - 'Me' time. That sounds so lame.
- I ink with a Staedtler/Mars Graphic Duo brush pen. Yes, not very 'professional' at all. Get over it.
- Your commission is next. I swear.
- This one gets the 'Wha? - Who cares?!' prize: I run in either Asics Gel Nimbus VII or Gel Cumulus VII. Comfort and support abound. Kayanos (for the price) are overrated. I don't know how fast I run an average mile - and who cares? I run.
- And finally (the answer to what has to be the most entertaining and creepy question I've gotten thus far) 'Yes!' - that rather rotund (Boondala, Wookie! Ha, ha, ha!) person you'll sometimes see when you see pictures of me is me. And 'Yes?' - that rather emaciated (They hates us, my Preciousess!) person you'll see sometimes when you see pictures of me is me also. It all depends on which body I download my brain into from day to day.
But wouldn't the more important question *have* to be, "Why the hell are you looking up pictures of me for?!" Weirdo.
For those who are going to ask, no - this is not an actual page from IM. I don't think I'm allowed to post whole pages by way of preview art yet, and I'd hate to bring the wrath down of whomever onto me, so I took panels out from the pages I've finished thus far. Sneaky. I *was* going to post a really juicy image (like a splash page), something that you can really sink your teeth into. Then I realized, "Hmmm...I don't draw splash pages at all! I'm an old fart who now draws a traditional nine-panel page and doesn't break panels for the sake of 'cool' layouts. Man, I'm decrepit. Get off my lawn you f*cking kids!"
So what you see is what you get. BTW, anyone see 'Grind House' this weekend? Anyone see Nicolas Cage as Fu Man Chu in the intermission trailers? That's totally who I'd cast to play 'The Mandarin'. Haha! Just kidding - I'd cast David Alan Grier.