“Today, in our field, there is so much talent and recognition that we are reaching a saturation point. An artist should no longer strive only for breathtaking craftsmanship; he should, instead, try to help us live better, either by dressing the wounds that are constantly being opened by society, or by offering solutions to get us out of the mess we’re in…But it’s going to be difficult and we have a lot of work to do.” - Jean 'Moebius' Giraud

Wednesday, April 11, 2007

HULK VS. ABOMINATION_commission


I don't remember who I promised this commission to - I just know it's on my list. That shows you where my heads at lately. I feel foolish. Anyway, if you've requested a Hulk vs. Abomination from me in the past...oh, I don't know...three months(?), shoot me an e-mail and I'll send this out to you directly.

I *do*, however, remember (from whomever it was who asked this of me) that they sent along some Dale Keown Hulk reference and saying that it was their favorite, but I dunno, man...that Hulk had a giant belt, tight brown pants and some shiny black boots?! I mean, c'mon - respect to the creative team who did that and all, but that's almost as visually ludicrous as, let's say...um...oh, I know! Let's say if they ever designed a Spiderman with mechanical arms coming out of his back and spats made of gold. I mean, you know - FOOLISH! So I did the 'Rampaging Hulk' version instead.

Anyway, thanks in advance to you, dear commissioner and my apologies for being an airhead. Happy Easter! What? That was *last* weekend?! Sweet jeezus.

7 comments:

Simon said...

Favourite in regards to story & art etc...but yeah, clothing choices could definitely be seen as questionable! Looking forward to getting this, thanks Eric!

Simon
www.gotsuperpowers.com

hammermachine said...

That's amazing, always one of me favorite fights. I like how you composed the scene. Great work.

RLS said...

God, that looks beautiful. I'm tempted to lie and say that was me who asked for the commission!

Brian said...

It just wouldn't be the Hulk without those improbable purple pants of his. Come to think of it, I don't recall Bruce Banner ever wearing purple pants. Hmmm, must be a side effect of the gamma radiation.

Danny said...

Heya champ. You always run with strong perspectives in your work, lots of worms and birds eye stuff. My question is, do you still throw down grids and perspective lines to get it done, or do you freehand it now? If you do the latter, how long did it take drawing grids on everything before you internalised that sort of thing?
Any words I'd really appreciate because I've discovered it's just about the biggest hole in what I've been doing. (The obvious fix is getting rigorous about drawing in guidelines, an easy fix; the hard bit was realising what was missing)

dustin said...

this looks great eric, i can pick it up from your house this weekend.

Marcelo Vignali said...

This is abominally good!