“Today, in our field, there is so much talent and recognition that we are reaching a saturation point. An artist should no longer strive only for breathtaking craftsmanship; he should, instead, try to help us live better, either by dressing the wounds that are constantly being opened by society, or by offering solutions to get us out of the mess we’re in…But it’s going to be difficult and we have a lot of work to do.” - Jean 'Moebius' Giraud

Wednesday, April 25, 2007

COWBOYS & CLOWNFISH


Two posts in one day? Not unheard of from me, but this one's with good reason. Read along, dear friends:

I have a Deviant Art account. That's not the funny part - the funny part is that I. DID. NOT. OPEN. IT. Haha! Check it out HERE.

Funny and scary at the same time, yeah? This person has pulled images from this blog and ULed them to the DA account almost a day *after* I post them here; the new images at least. And here's another thing - they didn't UL everything! It seems that my phantom Deviant Art doppelganger is very selective about which of my (our?) art he puts up! Neato! A phantom *and* an editor! Only the best for my Deviant Art audience, I guess.

I'm not offended. Scratching my head a bit, but I'm grateful...sort of. Flattered, really. It's not the first time that someone has exhibited my work (hell, that's where I got all the images from the previous post) and I don't think the fella' is doing anything notorious with the account (he's giving all the right info, the credit and links all go back to this blog...can he sell some of my 72DPI images somewhere? That's just ludicrous! Who'd buy crappy low res images?), but this time around people are posting on his message area, talking like it's me! "Congrats in joining DA, E!" or "I look at your blog everyday! Glad you're here!" Entertaining at best! Anyway, I just wanted to tell you all that I have no idea who that is and that as soon as I get it worked out, I'll update you. And to you, kind (and hopefully not crazy) stranger - Thank You. You oddball. I hope you're not in your basement somewhere and getting your jollies off of my Chun-Li drawing.

Now, let us test said phantom with this new post. I'm going to put up this image and see how long it takes before they have it up in my newfound DA listing. And......Go!

20 comments:

Rick Lacy said...

this is great! Ed is Ed!

Good luck with your mystery art aficionado. Could be worse, huh? Could be outside yer window.

COMIKXGUY said...

i swears its nots me ... or not :)

how do you know it's not rick?

"i didn't do it, nobody saw me do it, nobody can prove anything"

awesome cowboy bebop pic, you just had to fallow what laura did huh?

really really, its not me

COMIKXGUY said...

OOPS!

my bad, sorry lauren :)

Danny said...

Heeeey Eric. Can I ask you a quick question about your job?

What exactly do you do in animation? Are you drawing key frames, or tweening, or working on character designs? I've asked Lauren Montgomery as well, as I'm trying to get an idea of what sort of roles are available in traditional animation over there these days :) I'm really trying to find a way to draw people all day long!

Thanks for any help!

Megalaros said...

Dang, I was excited to have you beat around on DA. It's already attracted a flock of visitors. That's funny someone would MAKE one for you.

Nice seeing a bebop piece too. Ein is looking a quite ferocious.

ANX said...

Curious. Lauren Montgomery seems to be on DA too. Is that her or no?

chamba said...

hah
we been all suckered!
that is indeed odd tho, heck I watched that page too.
still, good to know that we still got your here in your blog.
or have you been faking us all this time too?!
hahha

oh and tight colours on that Bebop piece

Chris Sims said...

OMG! I can't believe you finally joined DA! Now I can watch you and fav everything you upload to your gallery. This is a dream come true! Are you gonna post this Cowboy Bebop drawing there so that I can fave it?

Pretty please!

Seriously, it's probably a fan who feels you deserve more exposure and a lot of cats on DA probably have no clue who you are. Your fan base will probably quadruple in the next couple months.

Hopefully he/she isn't crazy. That would be weird.

Gabor said...

wow!! i love cowboy bebop and your version is magistral!

Roc said...

the line between admiration and creepy stalker perv is very thin.
anyway, that cowboy bebop piece is greatness...(and already on DA)keep up the heat man.

Kambei77 said...

HA!
That is funkin' HILARIOUS.
Now I'm glad I didnt try to talk to not-you.

Kane said...

hehehe $hit that's funny! Creepy but funny.... I wish you safe artin!-T

Chris Battle said...

Ha-- it's already up,there! Maybe you should consider them your "intern" without all the paperwork.

Nice Beebop piece! You color work is insane.

trialsze said...

Well I already watch your blog and was kind of shocked to see you on DA. I thought awhile back you had something about not posting up art for awhile. Glad to see some new stuff and hope a severed babydolls head doesn't show up at your doorstep. Wish I was good enough for a stalker. LOL

weshoyot said...

wow...that's some creepy stuff...but the fake eric isn't witty so i guess that's one way to tell em apart. maybe you actually have a twin, somewhere on the other side of the planet. and he does the same images you do, 32 minutes after you (because you were the first twin ad he was born 32 minutes after you...) i think i got something here! eh? eEH?? sounds like a good movie plot.

anyways....i am not in awe of you once again. this piece is fantastic! i AM A HUGE bebeop fan!!!!!!! (and yoko kano makes some damn good music to draw to)

you're just too good....now im going to go draw in a mad frantic "must get better! my art looks like crap" drawing frenzy....

Michael said...

thatsss pretty crazy/creepy

only thing creepier is if it was evil twin..with the thin moustache and everything

axel#13 said...

WHAT!!! That sucks! I thought you actually open that DA account!
"oh well".............I really like this piece!

Becky Lau said...

wow! so u must take this as a compliment b/c usually only hot chicks get stalkers! so think of urself as the jessica alba of animation. u're work is equivalent to jessica in a bikini?!? time to get a body guard...

Lue Sang said...

Your coloring is incredible. I've been dabbling in colouring a bit and just looking at this piece gets me exhausted. Excellent illustration!

hehe, 'Deviant Canete' got this post up pretty quick, eh? You know what though? It's a bit weird/strange, but your audience will grow. Which is great - you deserve that.

potato farm girl said...

Wow, you have an internet helper. I wonder if he is a little gnome? I like corgis.