“Today, in our field, there is so much talent and recognition that we are reaching a saturation point. An artist should no longer strive only for breathtaking craftsmanship; he should, instead, try to help us live better, either by dressing the wounds that are constantly being opened by society, or by offering solutions to get us out of the mess we’re in…But it’s going to be difficult and we have a lot of work to do.” - Jean 'Moebius' Giraud

Sunday, April 15, 2007

BELL_commission


Well...sort of.

I was watching the whatever-version-got-re-released-by-Disney-this-year 'Peter Pan' earlier today, when I realized, "Hey someone asked me for this commission a while back! Cool! Now I'm all inspired to draw the little flying pixie that makes hallucinogenic dust that makes people think they're 'flying' to Neverland and is the nightmarish version of what an over-bearing, jealous-crazed, back stabbing (the little so-and-so gave Peter up, if you all remember) girlfriend would do if you even look at another woman in a sleeping gown! Awesome!"

So I went and grabbed a sheet of bristol to start do the commission because I've actually got an hour or two to kill. Neato!

Then, just as I'm finishing up and signing my little 'month/(e)/year' thingee (which, BTW, would have been really cool if I somehow incorporated it into Hook's...um...hook, but whatever. Actually I, in fact, *DID* think of that. I even penciled it in, only to forget all about it in the inking stage. I need help.) it dawned on me that the person who commissioned this piece canceled. He canceled it. Months ago. Didn't need it and asked for something else all together. Looked on my commissions list and yup, his name is crossed out.

Ever see that movie 'Memento'? You know, I don't know if I have either.

9 comments:

Brian Churilla said...

I love the how you fill in the positive space with those kinetic, frenzied "action lines" (for lack of a better term). Also, the negative space work on the lace is really a nice touch. Altogether, a very cool piece .

Marc Deering said...

Beautiful. Outstanding composition and everything. VERY cool. :)

Ryan Cody said...

a very beautiful Tinkerbell Eric, I'm sure you'll find a home for it somewhere

The Big Red One said...

Wow. Like the guy said above, the way you worked in that lace, use of positive and negative space, and the detail at the base of Hook's, er, hook, is brilliant. You are really looking comfortable with that brush.
Have been watching the dvd myself with my 2 year old. Not sure I'm real comfortable with the way they portray native Americans. Ah, well.

RLS said...

That's so awesome, Eric. I love the rendering and details on Hook's hook and the lace in his cravat. Beautiful lights and darks. Tinkerbell positively glows on the page.

chris chua said...

dude, this is awesome! I love their expressions and Tink looks cuter than ever. Great jOB!

Nexxorcist said...

yo, eric. remember that Isamu comission from like years ago? Am I still on that list? I mean, i'm still willing to pay for it.

Kid Kalig said...

Ohhhh, dude. You did it with this one. Totally.

BTW, I lost your new email by accident (long story), so hit me w/ an email about that thing.

Guillermo Pérez Mogorrón said...

Just stopping here to say i really love this drawing, very good, one, we wish we could feel allways that inspired.