“Today, in our field, there is so much talent and recognition that we are reaching a saturation point. An artist should no longer strive only for breathtaking craftsmanship; he should, instead, try to help us live better, either by dressing the wounds that are constantly being opened by society, or by offering solutions to get us out of the mess we’re in…But it’s going to be difficult and we have a lot of work to do.” - Jean 'Moebius' Giraud

Monday, March 19, 2007

WIZARD WOLRD: LOS ANGELES_update









I had a fine time at the show! Between doing commissions, sketches, and trying to maintain a deadline, the weekend just flew by. Oh, on top of that we had to sell sketchbooks! Whew, I'm getting tired just thinking about the past few days' events. The best part of my convention was probably my extended chat with comic book legend and professional extraordinaire Whilce Portacio. He's such an awesome and kind individual. Or maybe the best part of my show was the fact that an extremely beautiful woman who dressed in different costumes throughout the weekend was walking up and down Artists' Alley. There's nothing that can break up the monotony of looking at a bunch of gnomes and trolls who pass for artists (I'm included in that group, mind you), head-down in their sketchbooks trying to look important, more than a brunette that's dressed like a superhero every day. Haha!

Okay, here's some of the sketches I did this weekend. Well, not the 'upside-down girl shooting at bikers' because that was a Gunslinger Girl commission - but I didn't want to have to post another whole new blog just for the one image. Again, not having a scanner on hand, I had to resort to taking pictures of the sketches and the commission with a digital camera - Jon's camera to be more specific. The one with Scarecrow and Catwoman was part of a jam piece (whoo-hoo! I'm on another one!) that had some serious talents contributing to it - not the least of whom is the incomparable Tim Sale (that's his Scarecrow next to my Catwoman, BTW...I forgot who did the Penguin on the left hand side there)

More later. Enjoy.

14 comments:

Neil Hill said...

Gorgeous DC sketches, Eric! You're quite a talent sir.

Neil Hill said...

Your DC commissions are absolutely fantastic, Eric! You're quite a talent sir!

Brian said...

Two of my favorites, Sale and Canete, on the same jam sketch, the person collecting for that Batman Villans jam is one lucky fan.

Brian said...

Wow, Sale and Canete, two of my favorites on the same page. The person collecting that Batman villians jam piece is on lucky fan.

Ryan Cody said...

always awesome and inspiring eric

Bill said...

I'm jealous.

gdeo said...

Hey Eric!!!thanks for being so cool.You have a new fan for life.the hellboy sketch that you did for me is fantastic!I hyped the sketch on the hellboy site.Evryone likes it.Thanks again bud!

COMIKXGUY said...

well WWLA is done but...

i didn't go so its SDCC then

nice pics

weshoyot said...

wow! those sketches are awesome!!! and that tim sale one is one wicked lil' piece of art! your work is so inspiring and you are one awesome person to meet. thanks so much for the sketchbook. hopefully i'll run into you again in san diego.
peace.
-weshoyot

oliver burn said...

_Nice Gambit!!!!!!

400lb Ninja said...

WOW the Catwoman is amazing GREAT LINES!! Awesome man

sedyas said...

I love your work, Eric, is dinamic and perfect! Great lines.

Nexxorcist said...

wait, your sketchbook is out??

Doc Shaner said...

Man, everything looks great but I really dig that Green Arrow and Superman.