“Today, in our field, there is so much talent and recognition that we are reaching a saturation point. An artist should no longer strive only for breathtaking craftsmanship; he should, instead, try to help us live better, either by dressing the wounds that are constantly being opened by society, or by offering solutions to get us out of the mess we’re in…But it’s going to be difficult and we have a lot of work to do.” - Jean 'Moebius' Giraud

Thursday, March 15, 2007

THE OLD DAYS_update









So back when I used to draw comics for a living (and I use that term very loosely considering I was never really fast enough to do comics as a living) I would painstakingly lay out each an every single page before I actually get to drawing them on the 11x17 bristol that's the industry standard. Some call it 'thumbnails', others call it 'roughs'...whatever - all I know is that I did it too.

Last night, as I'm cleaning out my office to make room for new furniture, I came across old sketchbooks that had my 'layouts' in them. And sweet lord almighty - it hit me why I was never fast enough to draw comics back then. Here now, for your amusement (maybe even amazement), are those roughs that I would later Xerox up to the proper size and redraw again. In essence, as tight as I drew the damn things (and by the way, the size they're coming up on your screen by way of inches is the *actual* size they are in my sketchbook), I went and redrew them...again. Larger, even. I. Drew. Every. Issue. Twice. I look at these now and I'm exhausted! No wonder I was so burned out by the end of every issue! And lemme tell you - there's pages, and pages, and pages, and pages of this stuff! About 6 full sketchbooks' worth! Who the hell drew all of this?! I swear if I could get my hands on a Flux Capacitor powered DeLorian, I'd hit 88MPH, travel back in time to La Jolla, and slap some common sense into myself! I'd say, "We get it! You can f*ckin' DRAW! No one's questioning your ability to put lines down on paper! Stop trying to impress everyone!" Also I'd tell myself to quit eating so much, you fat bastard.

Anyhoo - just thought you'd all like to see what a younger, hungrier version of my work looked like by way of comic book pages so when the new stuff comes out ("What new stuff?" you ask. I'll have panels from it in the next post - I promise) you can rail on me about how I'm not working as hard. Good night all. I'm sleepy.

11 comments:

Mat said...

It was worth it though man. I bought this issue, and Cybernary 2.0, when they came out and I still go back to them for inspiration or when I'm in an artistic rut.

-Mat

francis said...

hehe, excellent stuff! but yeah, nutty amount of work for a monthly gig. I think you oughta try it again though, these pages look great.

Marc Deering said...

See, that's what inkers are for. Finishing up rough stuff like that.
Beautiful work. :)

Roc said...

i miss the ol' days

HartCactus said...

Yep, I remember the old days. :) But it's nice to see how far you've progressed! Hey...when you get back in time...would you also look me up and tell me (i.e. knock the $h!t outta me) not to eat so much as well!

-hart

SedatOezgen said...

hey Eric,
wow these are your thumbnails??
man thats amazing. How long did one pages actually take for you ,8hrs? ?
All the best,
Sedat

http://sedatoezgen.blogspot.com

drazebot said...

whoah!! I do that stuff too although I don't xerocopy them I just start again on a bigger paper(or just do blue pencils before I add black :D ) anyway you did very good job on those pages man nothing to worry except the eating problem (I got that too :D :D :D )
really nice seeing your art man
evrytime I see it I get inspired for weeks ahead and when the inspiration's gone I come back for more :D
thanks for sharing you art with us

rls said...

That's an insane amount of work to go and do twice. I'm glad you're older and wiser now although I wish you would do more comics.

COMIKXGUY said...

hey thse pics arn't loading for me, what gives ?

i'd like to see them but can't

COMIKXGUY said...

they work now, nice stuff

even though your normal stuff is good i actually like your techno work much more

could you tell me what is the difference between how you worked then to now

thankx

btw this word id came up with a weird word: enyjiz , funny :)

Ivan said...

dear eric canete of christmas past-

you are crazy.

love,

ivan brandon of christmas future.