“Today, in our field, there is so much talent and recognition that we are reaching a saturation point. An artist should no longer strive only for breathtaking craftsmanship; he should, instead, try to help us live better, either by dressing the wounds that are constantly being opened by society, or by offering solutions to get us out of the mess we’re in…But it’s going to be difficult and we have a lot of work to do.” - Jean 'Moebius' Giraud

Sunday, March 18, 2007

LADYTRON_commission


I *finally* got in on a jam piece type of a commission where I don't feel embarrassed about being the second-to-the-last person to contribute because everyone who's came before me was such a rockstar. In this case, I was the second guy adding to something (the distinguished gentleman Ryan Benjamin being the first) and I'm hoping that I'm going to be in good company.

The funny thing is, as many people who came up to me at the table at this year's Wizard World: LA show, most of them seem to remember this specific book, this *one* book I did of Wildstorm's character 'Ladytron'. I mean, who pays attention to a character like this? Especially since there wasn't some super hype behind it when it was released? And more importantly, who'd remember this book when *I* was drawing her? Boggles the mind. But I'm certainly glad and appreciative that people remember. If anything else to remind me that I actually did the book so many years back:

"Hey, did you do 'Wildcats: Ladytron' for Wildstorm a while back?"
they'd say.

"I did? Oh...um...I guess I did!?"
I'd respond.

"Cool, man. I loved that stuff. That and 'Cybernary 2.0' was some of the best work I've seen from you!"

"Oh...right on. (LONG PAUSE) What the hell is 'Cybernary 2.0'?"
I'd say.

I'm just getting old, I tell you.

1 comment:

Brian said...

Very Cool Ladytron Eric. As usual, you knocked it out of the park.