“Today, in our field, there is so much talent and recognition that we are reaching a saturation point. An artist should no longer strive only for breathtaking craftsmanship; he should, instead, try to help us live better, either by dressing the wounds that are constantly being opened by society, or by offering solutions to get us out of the mess we’re in…But it’s going to be difficult and we have a lot of work to do.” - Jean 'Moebius' Giraud

Thursday, March 29, 2007

HALOGEN:HALO_update


So the sales of HALOGEN:HALO have been going well. I guess when you put a PayPal button on it and make it available online it has a tendency to do better than if I were to just exclusively sell it at the shows. That said, I've been informed by the guys in the studio that the way things are going I'm probably not going to have any of the 200 sketchbooks left by the time SDCC rolls around. By last count, I'm down to my last 20, I think? That's good and bad - 'good' because that means the books are gone and that we've made enough monies to produce whatever cockamamie thing comes into our heads next, and 'bad' because what the hell am I going to do at SDCC if I'm not sitting behind the table trying to convince people to buy my stuff? I'm not about to walk around in that insane cattle drive. For those of you who have never gone, imagine a mass of people (at last year's show it was calculated to have had 150,000 people over the four day show) walking about, shoulder to shoulder, looking at and often buying pop culture memorabilia (because let's face it - ComicCon hasn't been about comic books for years now) and some of them neglect proper hygiene and, more often than not, their very specific and pungent odor either wafts in front of you or rubs off onto you.

Four days of that.

It's better the first day because it's a Thursday and the place isn't filled to the rafters with people yet. But by Saturday it's a madhouse. And to top it all off, because of its recent gain in popularity, hotels in the area have stopped offering up rooms at discounted rates to convention attendees because they figured, "Hell...enough people from large/major companies show up to this event, why bother giving them any discounts at all?" It is to say that it now costs an arm and a leg to go to San Diego and stay anywhere near the vicinity of the convention center.

Oh yeah, the committee that's in charge of the show have, in their questionable wisdom, have decided to cut the space for Artists' Alley in half this year. I guess to make room for all the other non-comic book related detritus that can ante up the ridiculous amounts of cash to lease for floor space. Awesome. I digress.

But, hey - HALOGEN:HALO is selling really well!

Speaking of shoulder to shoulder, here's an image my buddy Mikey (master production coordinator and the fella in charge of making sure all of my sketchbooks look as good as they do) brought by the house the other night. It's an image I did in his sketchbook 10 years ago! By the looks of it I started out with a full head of steam then as I got towards the guys to the far left and right, I kind of petered out. But this thing is TEN YEARS OLD! Ugh...I feel like such an old fart now. But look at the damn cuteness of all the Justice League kids! You wanna squeeze 'em like a pimple!

6 comments:

COMIKXGUY said...

ARTIST'S ALLEY CUT IN HALF? THAT SUX!

Mat said...

This is awesome!

Haha! Check it, I do a JLA peice every few years and always lose steam too! http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/48883928/?qo=1&q=by%3Amat-major+in%3Ascraps&qh=sort%3Atime
Ah, the ambition!

Deborah said...

.. I do wanna squeeze 'em. Hard. But not like a pimple, because I don't squeeze pimples. they scar. So maybe it's like as hard as i wanna squeeze you. or sumthin'.

Deb

weshoyot said...

ah yes, good knowledge on pimple popping to the above lady /\....wow, i didn't know they were cutting artist alley in half! that's a bit shocking...as it's not really all that big to begin with....well, just glad i got a place behind a large table and away from the hoards. i think maybe i'll bring an electrical fan with essential oils or something...and put crack in the oils so not only will the delightful smell of pretty stuff entice people, but also the addictive crack and cooling element. mwhahahaha. sucks about the popularity of your kick ass sketchbook....just going to have to find something else ubre cool to sell, and i'll trade you a decent drawing for it this time.

Andy Bayer said...

Wow... little kid Ollie and Aquaman have beards! Lobo looks like he got a bad math score and needs some blood on his fists. He should kick that smoking habit! What is he? 10?

This is fantastic. Is that a magnifying glass showing Ray by Wonder Woman's foot?

hammermachine said...

You are amazing, I've been checking your site for awhile. I even put a link in my blogsite. Check out crushedbymommy.blogspot.com keep up the good work.