“Today, in our field, there is so much talent and recognition that we are reaching a saturation point. An artist should no longer strive only for breathtaking craftsmanship; he should, instead, try to help us live better, either by dressing the wounds that are constantly being opened by society, or by offering solutions to get us out of the mess we’re in…But it’s going to be difficult and we have a lot of work to do.” - Jean 'Moebius' Giraud

Wednesday, February 21, 2007

BILL_commission


So I'm sick again. Well, not so much anymore, but over the weekend it felt like my brain was oozing out of my nose. Now I've just got this nagging cough and a head cold that will turn into some kind of mind-blowing (literally) ordeal once I get on an airplane and fly to NYC.

You might say that a cold isn't anything new, but all of 2006 I wasn't sick. Not once. This year so far? Twice. Once around New Year's and now around Valentine's Day (that's when it started). My illnesses seem to be on an eerie holiday schedule. I don't know what red letter, calendar day is next but I bet I'm going to be giving the over-the-counter pharmaceutical companies more of my money sometime very soon. Has Punxsutawney Phil had his holiday yet? Because for sure I'm going to get sick on his day. Also, me getting sick fringes on the theme of the movie that has that same weather forecasting groundhog in it. I could have sworn that this happened already.

So should the handful of you who check this blog happen to drop by the show this coming weekend, please don't take any offense at what I do after we shake hands; I'm slathering my palms with sanitizer for fear of contracting another communicable virus. It's not you, I swear - I've suddenly become a germaphobe and I'm just making sure that I make it through the weekend.

Anyway, here's the Deadly Viper Assassination Squad with Bill playing on his flute. Betcha' Beatrix Kiddo never got sick two holidays straight. Enjoy.

9 comments:

Chrispy said...

Erik man, this is so MONSTROUS man, i really enjoy your work and would LOVE to have your input on my work and where you see my strengths and where you reccomend that i focus growing at, this is a sincere request, no fanboy type stuff here man, AMAZING WORK MAN! My site is www.kweli.deviantart.com, and you can also check my blog too if you want man, i would SINCERELY appreciate it, PEACE!

Brian said...

First and foremost, what a beautiful piece. If they every re-release the films in the theatre, this should be the movie poster.

As for wiping your hands at the convention, don't worry about it as more and more creators are doing it. Personally, I seldom stick my hand out there for a shake, but that's just because I feel bad for the guys who are either signing or drawing all day and don't want to put any extra wear and tear on their hands.

Also, you might consider what Howie Mandel - an actual germaphobe does - and go with the fist bump. But if you do, use your non-drawing hand as some folks bump a little harder than others.

See you at the show

drazebot said...

aww man your system sure knows when to get you sick,
the Kill Bill piece is really good
glad you posted it

schpatz said...

That's cool. It looks like Bill has an almost Anime-styling (whoa, don't let a programmer make art critique).

The Daryl Hannah character looks awesome. Sword wielding, eye patch wearing women are awesome.

Chris Sims said...

Wow! I need to get a commission from you real soon Phenominal work as usual, Mr. Canete!

francis said...

nice one; i love the line quality of your stuff.

Craig Zablo said...

Cool commission! Hope you're feeling well again soon.

Djordje Zutkovic said...

Cool! I really like the earlier post of the old man with the mountain of books! Awsome stuff!

chrishaley said...

Absolutely incredible work.