“Today, in our field, there is so much talent and recognition that we are reaching a saturation point. An artist should no longer strive only for breathtaking craftsmanship; he should, instead, try to help us live better, either by dressing the wounds that are constantly being opened by society, or by offering solutions to get us out of the mess we’re in…But it’s going to be difficult and we have a lot of work to do.” - Jean 'Moebius' Giraud

Tuesday, January 09, 2007

THOR_90 minutes


First off, thank you all for the kind words regarding my inability to draw animals. I'm going to try, at for future 90 minutes sketches I do, to draw more wildlife and I'll put them up here so we can all laugh at them together. I'm an advocate of drawing outside my 'comfort zone' - that way I'll try my hand at something I know I need to better at; and I definitely need to get better at drawing dogs, horses, birds, cats, lizards, bears, humans, bugs...you get the idea.

Next, someone mentioned something in an earlier comment about Claire Wendling (who I've become a huge fan of after Lauren pointed her out to me and said, "Her...you'll draw women better of you pay attention to her. No, you know what? Just copy her - you don't know how to pay attention.") and her ability to draw animals, to which I say - I absolutely agree. The woman is a monster when it comes to everything and anything she draws. It would do me a great deal to continuously check out what she's doing. And like I said, I'll try to do more, get better and hopefully with time, I'll actually be able to do it without having such apprehensive reaction to drawing them. Hopefully.

On that note: Thor. So, yeah...he's not an animal. "I'll save that for later," I told myself. Let's see if I'm lying.

10 comments:

Ryan Cody said...

Great one Eric, Thor is one of those guys that can be really cool if done right, or really silly if not, and I think you nailed it.

Chris Sims said...

Yo, Eric here's some links to some Claire Wendling books if you need some visual reference. Wendling is a monster when it comes to this art thing!

http://stuartngbooks.com/wendling.html

http://budplant.com/search.asp?ss=Claire+Wendling&image3.x=10&image3.y=3

Drawers 2.0 is excellent

Chris Sims said...

Yo, Eric here's some links to some Claire Wendling books if you need some visual reference. Wendling is a monster when it comes to this art thing!

http://stuartngbooks.com/wendling.html

http://budplant.com/search.asp?ss=Claire+Wendling&image3.x=10&image3.y=3

Drawers 2.0 is excellent!

SeqartMark said...

Great job, man. I love your art. Just wondering, what kind of markers do you use? I have a terrible time keeping Prismacolors from bleeding but my Copics do the same. Any tips?

Brian said...

Great balance in the composition of this one Eric and I love your treatment of the hammer as here it looks much more like the formidable weapon that it is as opposed to something you'd hammer nails with on the weekend.

sarah said...

I shy away from animals myself. All the more reason I guess to make sure I keep attempting to draw them :) Awesome awesome Thor by the way.

chamba said...

animals are 'the' fun to draw.

Yeppers, Wendling's a beast. wicked-awesome beast.

and Thor's a gun.

and hey, if ya drew Beta Ray Bill instead of Thor, ya woulda drawn part of an animal, being that Bill's head if like some horse-type thing.

Ohyes, diggin the flow of the cape!

Pipocalavera said...

EY!! i'm someone!! :P.

You're a beast composing te 90' draws. Quick and effective. I envy you.


I've got the opportunity to talk with Claire Wendling and she told me the cats (and felines) she do are done without any references. It's ALL in her head.

I don't like to be a fan...but...it's nearly impossible not become a fan of her.

Ey...but this is your BLOG.

ERIC RULES!

Mark said...

Another great book you HAVE to check out if you want to draw animals better is a comic called BlackSad.

ANX said...

It's hard to keep up now that you're posting again. But honestly I'm IN LOVE with this Catwoman. Beautiful work here.