“Today, in our field, there is so much talent and recognition that we are reaching a saturation point. An artist should no longer strive only for breathtaking craftsmanship; he should, instead, try to help us live better, either by dressing the wounds that are constantly being opened by society, or by offering solutions to get us out of the mess we’re in…But it’s going to be difficult and we have a lot of work to do.” - Jean 'Moebius' Giraud

Monday, January 08, 2007

PHOENIX_90 minutes


See what I mean when I say I have no business drawing birds? For the record, I drew this image before I drew the Eagle Girl one. Reference helps. A lot.

You want to know who can draw animals really well? I just found Gabriele Pennacchioli's blog. Oh, he can storytell too; it's his job! Dang! Check out the link and marvel at his skill. Then don't bother coming back to look at this image because it just pales in comparison.

7 comments:

Marcelo Braga said...

so much new stuff! Great.

Chris Battle said...

Awesome! Man, that takes me back!

Andy Bayer said...

Dont care about how that bird looks. If it looked bad it would still resemble fire (but it doesn't look bad), so overall FANTASTIC work.

Dean Trippe said...

Totally awesome.

IOTA11 said...

The perspective on that hand is great! Nice pic.

Pipocalavera said...

If you don't know Claire Wendling, Eric, you have to check it out.

She is a ultra talented drawer. Her animals are the best I've seen.

Bye!

Colin said...

I'm really glad you've started blogging again. Your 90 minute sketches are always awe inspiring. (And that's true even if you don't think they're perfect. 90 minutes!)

In this one the bird looks a bit cramped. You probably could have let the wings go off the edges. (He says, not really having any idea what he's talking about.) Still, the lines are, as always, wonderful, and I love the woman's pose, and the way you did her face and hand.

I agree with you that Gabriele's work is amazing. That link's a keeper.