“Today, in our field, there is so much talent and recognition that we are reaching a saturation point. An artist should no longer strive only for breathtaking craftsmanship; he should, instead, try to help us live better, either by dressing the wounds that are constantly being opened by society, or by offering solutions to get us out of the mess we’re in…But it’s going to be difficult and we have a lot of work to do.” - Jean 'Moebius' Giraud

Tuesday, January 23, 2007

JUNK FOOD










Aw...I feel terrible, my poor little blog. I haven't updated you in a week! I'll try to do better this week. So these aren't new images - I'm posting 'em because I feel awfuly guilty for not making more of an effort in posting daily. True, I'm busy with actual work, but still - 90 minutes isn't that much time and I should have tried harder. So like a parent who neglects his child and tries to make up for it by buying them candy, you guys get junk food! Yay!

Anyway, from time to time people are kind enough to ask me to help them develop properties that are in...um...development for new animated shows. Some get made, some (if not most) don't, and end up as my portfolio fillers. Or more often than not, they have me take a pass, realize I'm totally the wrong guy to do development for happy/saccharine kid's shows and have some other ultra-talented artist take a pass at my drawings. But the silver lining is I get to know some amazing people from different companies and establish relationships with them. Can't beat that with a stick.

Okay, the first few are from development for a cartoon based on the 'The Lost Boys' movie. Yeah...*that* The Lost Boys movie. Updated of course, though I don't know why since the original is such a masculine Joel Schumacher opus, but it wasn't my call. I watched that movie for inspiration when I was making a go at this stuff. What was my favorite part, you ask? Well, I'll tell you: beach party scene in Act 1, saxophone player wearing leather and studs, lion-mane hair. Mmmmm....crap-tastic. These two are Michael (played in the movie by Jason Patric) and David (played by '24' star Kiefer Sutherland).

The last two are from when they were trying to do with something with Transformers. And yeah...*that* Transformers. These are my pass at Bumblebee. They didn't use them. Cool.

8 comments:

tomsaville said...

These are fantastic! What a great take on The Lost Boys pro/antagonists.

And positive praise for the Bumblebee concepts.

Update more! :D

IOTA11 said...

Love your mech stuff, as with everything else you do it has a nice fluidity to it.

Joshua James said...

Wow. Wish they would have picked one of those. The one they chose is UGGG.

-JtJ

Ryan Cody said...

Great designs Eric!

Frasier Olivier said...

I love your work, you are very talented!
O.F

Mark said...

Where do i even begin? Friggin awesome stuff man.

bistroboy said...

haha lost boy ,first time I saw it at the store I thought it was like a social kid movie like kids or any larryclark movie...good try mister distributor héhé

anyway those art are pretty cool
the kinds that wants you to be cool as a vampire

yay badass vampires

bistroboy said...

haha lost boy ,first time I saw it at the store I thought it was like a social kid movie like kids or any larryclark movie...good try mister distributor héhé

anyway those art are pretty cool
the kinds that wants you to be cool as a vampire

yay badass vampires