“Today, in our field, there is so much talent and recognition that we are reaching a saturation point. An artist should no longer strive only for breathtaking craftsmanship; he should, instead, try to help us live better, either by dressing the wounds that are constantly being opened by society, or by offering solutions to get us out of the mess we’re in…But it’s going to be difficult and we have a lot of work to do.” - Jean 'Moebius' Giraud

Saturday, January 06, 2007

EAGLE BIRD_90 minutes


Whoa - almost went a day without posting a new image! I'm slipping in my old age.

Truth be told, this isn't really all that new of an image. I did something similar to this image as a commission when I attended the Wizard Word: Chicago convention last summer (with comic book rockstar Dustin Nguyen). Unfortunately, I didn't get a chance to take a snap shot of the image before I handed it off to the person who commissioned it from me. However, this time around, I actually managed to do a decent job of drawing the bird right. Sort of.

The problem was when I drew the first version I really *did* think I could draw a giant eagle. Then it came time to actually draw the thing and it became embarrassingly obvious I had no business drawing that animal. Not to say I have any more right to do so now than I did then, but at least this time it actually looks like an eagle (sort of) and not some lame buzzard from the old-school Warner Bros. cartoon. Man, I feel terrible for the guy who I sold that lame duck to. Haha! Get it? Eagle? Bird? Lame duck! Haha! I also feel terrible for saying that obviously lame pun. Enjoy.

3 comments:

Brian said...

The eagle came out great, even better than the girl, and that's saying a lot as I love your women.

charlieclark said...

hey eric what do you ink with by the way and what does your work space look like?

Mark said...

Dont be so hard on yourself, that's a tough angle to draw the head of an eagle from, and it came out pretty well.