“Today, in our field, there is so much talent and recognition that we are reaching a saturation point. An artist should no longer strive only for breathtaking craftsmanship; he should, instead, try to help us live better, either by dressing the wounds that are constantly being opened by society, or by offering solutions to get us out of the mess we’re in…But it’s going to be difficult and we have a lot of work to do.” - Jean 'Moebius' Giraud

Thursday, January 04, 2007

CHESHIRE


I did a quick sketch of this for my cousin's daughter over the holidays and liked it so much that I decided to redraw the whole thing and use some color on it. Same materials as before - blue pencil, COPIC markers, and because I'm still not 100% comfortable with coloring anything without the usual 'holding' line around the image, I finished it off with some watercolor brush pens that Staedtler/Mars makes called 'Graphic Duo 3000' (expensive for a pen that runs out of ink quite quickly - so I'll be sure to use them sparingly).

I think I did a decent job with the cat, but I completely jacked Alice up. I'm not too happy with her face or her hair or her everything (Haha!), but that's the whole process of these exercises for me: to get better with every image. Also, I'm not too proficient with markers as I haven't been using them as long as, let's say...um, actually I'm not proficient with *any* other art tool than pen and paper. I suck. You want to see someone who doesn't suck at using markers? Check out Ms. Brianne Drouhard's masterpieces on her blog. She's an amazing talent - I think she's designing on Class of 3000 for Cartoon Network at the moment. She's cool. She's so cool you should go to her blog, check out her work, and tell her so. Yeah!

7 comments:

Mark said...

Your use of colour in these last few entries remind me of Andrew Robinson, which can't be a bad thing.

The Edge said...

good to see you posting again Eric!

Roc said...

gorgeous!

chamba said...

i'm loving the colours and shapes you've pulled together for this one.

definately love it

potato farm girl said...

Make more colorings, I only have two more weeks to plaster my cube with them!! I like the cheshire, and the lace! Thank you for the kind wordz!

potato farm girl said...

Make more colorings, I only have two more weeks to plaster my cube with them!! I like the cheshire, and the lace! Thank you for the kind wordz!

Chris said...

Hey, I'm trying to find the Staedtler Mars 3000 watercolor brush pens. Can you get them on-line individually? I don't want to buy the 8 pack necessarily. Thanks!