“Today, in our field, there is so much talent and recognition that we are reaching a saturation point. An artist should no longer strive only for breathtaking craftsmanship; he should, instead, try to help us live better, either by dressing the wounds that are constantly being opened by society, or by offering solutions to get us out of the mess we’re in…But it’s going to be difficult and we have a lot of work to do.” - Jean 'Moebius' Giraud

Friday, September 29, 2006

VILLAINS_pin-up


Ryan Cody, artist/illustrator and co-creator for Viper Comics 'Villains' book had kindly asked me a while back to do a pin-up for his book of samesaid title and I said 'Yes...of course. It's be an honor'. Little did he know I'd take forever and a day to actually finish it - seriously...'foreverandaday' is an official day in Canete World. It's right there, right smack between 'soonipromiseit'llbedoneday' and 'gonnamissdeadlinesday'.

So after seeing a Post-It I wrote for myself when I first took on the assignment and a nudge from Ryan a couple of days back (thanks man!) I hopped to it. This took a couple of tries to do because the perspective and angle was a pain, I was unfamiliar with the character so I didn't know what enviroment to put him in or what I could do by way of effects, or design or whatever - all i knew was he had that glove. Again, it took a few tries - I'd post the first two or three attempts but they've since been gobbled up by my paper shredder (yeah, I'm paranoid...I think evil spirits of bad art loom when I don't destroy bad drawings so I shred them right away to kill the phantoms that float about in my office). So here it is. Ryan's going to have to find someone to color it because I didn't want to mess it up by coloring it myself and hopefully it wont hurt sales of his book too much. Thanks a bundle, Ryan. It was a challenge to do.

Oh, a word of advice to guys and gals who want to draw backgrounds in their images - don't. Just be lazy. Who *needs* backgrounds? Backgrounds-shmackgrounds! Plenty of so-called 'pros' get away with drawing covers and pages without backgrounds so why should you bother? It can be done - you can have an entire career doing piss-poor, unconvincing anatomy and drawing no backgrounds! Ever! Don't do 'em! They're not worth it! You'd be stupid to try and draw something when it's not even required...

...and...scene. Good night, ladies and gentlemen.

2 comments:

Ryan Cody said...

can't thank you enough Eric, everyone loves it, you're the nicest, most humble dude on the planet

Asa said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.