“Today, in our field, there is so much talent and recognition that we are reaching a saturation point. An artist should no longer strive only for breathtaking craftsmanship; he should, instead, try to help us live better, either by dressing the wounds that are constantly being opened by society, or by offering solutions to get us out of the mess we’re in…But it’s going to be difficult and we have a lot of work to do.” - Jean 'Moebius' Giraud

Thursday, September 21, 2006

TITANS:REMIX_90 minutes


A few weeks ago comics artist Dean Trippe of AdHouse and Oni fame asked me to participate in the shinnanegans of Project Rooftop - in which, basically, they ask artists they know/find online to take a pass and redesign classic superheroes' costumes. Talented illustrators such as Stuart Immonen, Travel Foreman, Jamie McKelvie, and Jay Stephens, etc. have participate in the past and when prompted, I was more than happy (honored, actually) to contribute. Dean asked if I could just send in the Teen Titans image I did a while back (which would have been fine with him, I guess...) but I told him that I'd really like to take a shot at redesigning the characters and not have my faulty memory of the Titans' togs be my addition to such a prestegious gallery. Thankfully he accomodated me and after a week or two (or three? - thanks for being so patient, Dean) I finished the image.

From left to right: Wondergirl, Beastboy, Starfire, Raven, Nightwing, Kid Flash, and Cyborg.

Now if this were done for an actual class I know my ass would've failed the assignment. I mean, first of all, they're called 'Teen Titans'. There's nothin' teen about these yahoos - lookit their...um...proportions, fer chrissakes. Second, the idea was to give their already classic costumes a bit of flourish but *still* maintain some identifiable aspect from the previous versions of themselves. That's another 'F' for effort - I made Kid Flash a nekkid guy with an orb on his chest with lightning/electricity coming out of it. And that's the least of my offenses!

Anyway, Dean said he's gonna color the image and hopefully save my inadequate sense of design. Check out the link I've attatched in a few days to see his efforts. Okay, that's all for now as I'm off to redesign Superman in a blue and red 'lightning' costume, then take a pass at Spiderman where he's got robot limbs on his back and golden, Uncle Scrooge-like spats on his feet. Mmmm-boy.

8 comments:

Ryan Cody said...

the Nightwing and Cybord re-designs are the bomb! I love the blog Eric, it's a big influence.

trialsze said...

Man that nightwing design is off the chain bro. They should your design for his title. I love all of them really but that just kind of reminded me of some Gatchaman stuff.

Chris Sims said...

I'm loving your blog, homie! Your skills are god-like!

schpatz said...

Cool, let us know when it goes on Project Rooftop.

Cheers

Thomas Perkins said...

I am really digging this image. I always like redesigns on longstanding characters. Adds a greater interest in how one's take may differ from preconceived notions. That and the fact that your overall sense of design kicks a lot os backside anyhow. Well done, man.

Steve Kendrick said...

This is amazing. I wish this was what the Titans really was like.

Guy Mann said...

I just took a look at the colored version at Project Rooftop. It's really cool. I love it. Plus, it's a nice big scan so I can see all the sweet details I missed in the black and white version. hint hint

daniel harvey said...

Eric, thought you might get a kick out of a bump to this old thread... those redesigns are still insanely tight. I'd kill for a chance to see them used some day... You'd be top notch on a relaunch of that title.