“Today, in our field, there is so much talent and recognition that we are reaching a saturation point. An artist should no longer strive only for breathtaking craftsmanship; he should, instead, try to help us live better, either by dressing the wounds that are constantly being opened by society, or by offering solutions to get us out of the mess we’re in…But it’s going to be difficult and we have a lot of work to do.” - Jean 'Moebius' Giraud

Tuesday, September 05, 2006

OBELISK_process

In the next few weeks, along with the 90 minute sketches, I'm going to start posting process images of the graphic novel I'm working on. I've finished the writing (most of it, anyway) and I'm anxious to start drawing the book... so... I'm just going to draw the pages that I know are locked. Yeah! Here's one from the latest batch.

I start the page in blue lead and probably won't get any tighter than this by way of pencils. I allow the accidents and discovery of a line when I go to ink. I'm asking for trouble, true - but that's why there's white-out. The panels are in sort of a standard 'grid' format because 1) it makes it easier for me to edit later - draw and drop a in new panel then rearrange a page in PS:CS if I realize that I'm missing a beat or some crucial peice of information and 2) over-designed comicbook pages are hell to a reader. I'm trying to get a broad audience to read this book and the last thing I'd want to do is alienate them by laying out pages that are too fancy-shmancy (I'll put up a 'Cybernary 2.0' page I did way-back-when that proves this point - it's so effin' confusing it's obscene). More later.

And oh hey, look...semi-larger scans. Stop with the requests already.

6 comments:

ed said...

too much hotness. toooo much.

ButterfishManiac said...

Dude it looks hot, I can't wait to see it, hurry up :)

Chris Sims said...

I want the first copy!

CosmicPencil said...

Eric,

It's nice to get a glimpse into the way you work on your sequentials. I have been working a similar method, although I do some quick pencils at actual size, scan those in and blow them up to a larger size in blue line and ink from there.

I'll be interested to see more insights on how you work!

matt

Fernando said...

hey eric, awesome stuff man!
Hey, what do you ink with once you go to finishes? i'm loving your line :)

trialsze said...

I will be the first in line to buy this book. Man you sure can draw some cool stuff bro.