“Today, in our field, there is so much talent and recognition that we are reaching a saturation point. An artist should no longer strive only for breathtaking craftsmanship; he should, instead, try to help us live better, either by dressing the wounds that are constantly being opened by society, or by offering solutions to get us out of the mess we’re in…But it’s going to be difficult and we have a lot of work to do.” - Jean 'Moebius' Giraud

Wednesday, September 13, 2006

'THE FORSAKEN'_pages












Nothing new to post, folks - but since these pages were published in a little, itty-bitty, digest sized book from a couple of years ago (and I don't really know what kind of coverage and distribution it got), they're probably new to *somebody*. Right? Right? Well, if anything, I hope this will do for now until I can produce new material that I'm allowed to post, yeah?

Anyhoo...from the brilliant mind of writer/illustrator Vinton Heuck and published in Shannon Denton's 'KomikWerks' anthology endeavour, here are pages from our (Vinton's writing and me handling the art chores - obviously) contribution entitled The Forsaken - the first page is sort of like a title card from a saturday morning matinee but I don't know if I really pulled that off and it reads that way. Oh well...

This was also my attempt at drawing and paying homage to those old-school sci-fi strips like 'Flash Gordon' drawn by the incomparable Alex Raymond, whose art I instantly fell in love with - go find/collect his work from the strip 'Rip Kirby' and you'll see what I mean. Brilliant brilliant, humbling stuff.

I'll post new stuff later - comicbook pages take time to draw, did anyone know that?! They just don't fall outta' trees like they're supposed to!

10 comments:

axel#13 said...

these pages look great! what more can i say.

Alden V said...

these are amazing!!! the lineart is awesome... i have to find the book and buy it now

csteingart said...

Wicked pages bro!

Anonymous said...

Nice work! It doesn't look like things worked out so well for them. Well I guess there are those that like giant tentacles?

Anonymous said...

http://www.komikwerks.com/store.php

MELLON said...

i love how you accentuate the action with slanted panels, and your forced perspective on things is great... like everyone else, i'll always clammer for bigger scans... these little scans just don't do the amount of detail you put into these justice.

-Kevin

Anonymous said...

These pages are so awesome.

I know you're getting really comfartable with youre new style, but I miss the old eric canete.

It makes me sad knowing that you wont produce artwork like this anymore. Ah well at least I've collected all you're older stuff.

Would you mind posting those old batman sequentials you drew up when you were first breaking in,those were so cool

Frank Forte said...

Real Nice. very Dynamic. Love the inks.

ButterfishManiac said...

Well it was new to me. and it looks cool.

Soren said...

Wow...those pages are really amazing. Especially the first splash page with the rocket ship. Reminds me of Flash Gordon.