“Today, in our field, there is so much talent and recognition that we are reaching a saturation point. An artist should no longer strive only for breathtaking craftsmanship; he should, instead, try to help us live better, either by dressing the wounds that are constantly being opened by society, or by offering solutions to get us out of the mess we’re in…But it’s going to be difficult and we have a lot of work to do.” - Jean 'Moebius' Giraud

Tuesday, September 05, 2006

CYBERNARY MESS_pg. 15

The aforementioned 'Cybernary 2.0' page. Otherwise known as, "Hey kids! Wanna learn how to not draw a legible page? Wanna completely miss the point of clear and concise comicbook storytelling? Well, here you go!"

Jeezus, what was I thinking.

8 comments:

ButterfishManiac said...

Pardon my contradiction of you, but despite what you say I still like the work you did on Cybernary 2.0. I bought all the issues. It was a joy to look at.

And I will defintiely be inline for you new trade.

But then again, I may just be a freak

colin said...

It has a lot of good elements (look at the figures! the detail!), but I have to agree, it's really hard to read. The Obelisk page looks like it has better rhythm, and gives a much better sense of movement and action, even though nothing blows up!

'Course, no-one should listen to me. I don't know anything about this stuff. I just know what I like.

Thanks for the bigger scans too.

JNadiger said...

You know what was awesome about the Cybernary book?

The covers. I like the three column design with a character down the center. They would have made an attractive set of prints, I think.

Jon Tsuei said...

What larger scans AND confusing story telling? As your "agent" I highly disapprove of this course of action.

MELLON said...

i still love your cybernary stuff, but i am so excited to see how you've grown in your art, the promise that you showed then being fulfilled now... great stuff, eric.

-Kevin

The Edge said...

Eric,
I think you go too hard on yourself regarding the cybernary page. Yes it is hard to read, but with minor editing and respacing I think the page could become easily clear and concise...it is just a little too congested.
But hey, at least you can DRAW, not like that Dustin guy...what a chump ;)
Mark

Mark said...

You've come a long way, baby.

Anonymous said...

Cybernary 2.0 was awesome,you really had a unique style back then and were acutely my favorite artist in comics.

Youre new style ,although im sure you like it, doesnt hold a candel to the comic book art you were doing earlier in youre carear.

almost wish there were 2 eric canetes, one that drew comic books like you used to ,and one with the new style.