“Today, in our field, there is so much talent and recognition that we are reaching a saturation point. An artist should no longer strive only for breathtaking craftsmanship; he should, instead, try to help us live better, either by dressing the wounds that are constantly being opened by society, or by offering solutions to get us out of the mess we’re in…But it’s going to be difficult and we have a lot of work to do.” - Jean 'Moebius' Giraud

Wednesday, August 09, 2006

WITH APOLOGIES..._90 minutes

Calvin and Hobbes is my first crush by way of syndicated comic strips. First crushes are hard to get over, yeah? After reading Alan's comment I went back and looked through all of my Calvin & Hobbes collections and realized Bill Waterson still got the goods - and *still* even better than advertised. Everything he draws 'reads' as what they're supposed to be. What a wonderful illustrator. Why did he stop drawing this stuff? I never really found out.

Anyway, it was difficult drawing these two without doing them exactly as Waterson would - but then again, that would be just as blasphemous, right? And I can't draw as well as the man, so why even bother trying. So I'll just draw them the best I can...with sincerest apologies (and utmost respect) to Mr. Waterson.

A kid and an imaginary tiger going on adventures together. Far out.

(Thanks to Alan Cichela for planting the seed of doing this image in my head. Great Serpieri images on your site, man.)

9 comments:

OniYon said...

I love Calvin and Hobbes. Especially those 'soap opera' style strips with totally ridiculous conversations, like the one with Calvin and Susie playing doctor (he insists on giving her a lobotomy hahaha)

Due to his sabbatical a friend told me that Bill Watterson actually DIED, which is not true of course *shakes virtual fist at said friend* but I was totally devastated by it! Bill Watterson is a genius, and an understated one at that

Lauren said...

Hmmmm. Did you reference yourself for Calvin's huge head? Just like looking in a mirror.

Alan Cichela said...

Very Good!
Debtor for the attention… I placed its drawing in mine blog, and some commentary, I wait that if it does not matter.

Anonymous said...

There were hints in a NYTimes article that even though is an intense recluse, he is working up an animated film all by his lonesome...your picture evokes every bit joy you'd expect from Calvin & Hobbes!

Jon Tsuei said...

This pic reminds me of how much I want that monster complete Calvin & Hobbes hardcover. I just wish I could afford that thing.

K.G. said...

Wow...about a month ago I dug out my Calvin & Hobbes books and laughed my ass off re-reading my favorite comic strip of all time. I love this drawing! Bill Watterson would be -I think : ) - proud. And yeah, my wife was gonna buy me that Humoungus Edition but we decided to by a car instead...

Julia said...

haha first crushes. those are indeed difficult to get over.

man i wish bill watterson would put out a collection of his dinosaur drawings. those were awesome T^Tbbb.

ken said...

Calvin and hobbes were my childhood heros, and am still a big fan! cool drawing!!

Federico Bertolucci said...

Great and beautiful hommage.