“Today, in our field, there is so much talent and recognition that we are reaching a saturation point. An artist should no longer strive only for breathtaking craftsmanship; he should, instead, try to help us live better, either by dressing the wounds that are constantly being opened by society, or by offering solutions to get us out of the mess we’re in…But it’s going to be difficult and we have a lot of work to do.” - Jean 'Moebius' Giraud

Monday, August 28, 2006

WHOLE LOTTA CYCLOPS_90 minutes

It's funny how things have a way of relating to each other.

For example: someone just commented on whether or not I use reference to '...visualize or imagination'. Most of the time I don't use the reference - unless of course it's of the costume or character design variety. And the fact that I *don't* use reference is obvious on two fronts. 1) I can guarantee you that if I were smart enough to use a visual guide for my anatomy, poses, etc. they'd look a hell of a lot better than what ends up on paper, and 2) It's difficult to find an exact image I'd need that'd have the male or female posed the way I see it in my head - it's just plain easier for me to make it up. I mean it's obvious at this point, yeah? You've all seen the women I draw - they're jacked up. Women don't really look like that. So, yeah - no reference.

Except for *this* here Cyclops (hee!). In an earlier post, I put up another kind 'Cyclops' as a joke to a friend and then promising him the actual one he asked for - Super X-men Leader dude. Racking my brain of what to draw (pose, props, etc) I came upon a small figure gifted to me by Lauren and figured it was my salvation. And boy, howdy - was it ever! Here's a picture of the little figure:



Now I've said in the past that drawing the big optic blast shooting outta' his eyes looked retarded as hell - and this toy does nothing but validate that point. I mean, it looks like someone squeezed him and ketchup is coming out of his face! He likes his robot tentacles with ketchup, I guess. Maybe I just say that because I don't know how to draw that blast very well. Whatever.

Also, at this past San Diego show I did a quick doodle of The Greatest Character in the Marvel Universe Ever for Remy 'Eisu' Mokhtar (I hope I spelled that right, man). Check out his LJ entries - a fine illustrator that puts my garbage to shame. Here's the doodle:



So, to review: no reference except when it makes my job easier by not thinking about it. Cyclops with no eye blast is awesome. Eisu rocks the mic right.

9 comments:

tobbe said...

Very nice!

skottie young said...

as always, amazing. i really love the energy that you put into the 90min pieces. I've tried a few 90min joints, and they don't even come close to touching what your able to do with that brush pen. The highlight of my day is checking this blog. keep it up bro!

Ryan Cody said...

His blast is perfect, too bad a colorist would probably lose the energy you laid down there, but awesome nonetheless man. Keep up the great work!

Eisu said...

Hell, dude, naw, your stuff is totally more awesome than mine. I mean, look at that Cyclops blasting the metal tentacles... I like the idea you didn't exactly draw the path of the beam but showed the destruction it does, like Ryan said (indirectly), it has the feel of the energy of the blast.

roque said...

The feathering on this piece is NAS-TY. I love it. Cyclops' costume design is one of the best.

Guy Mann said...

What are you using to ink?

axel#13 said...

Dude, your crazy!

Antonio Santamaria said...

Eric.... What a productivity, man!!! Your sketches are all mighty. I don't tire of visiting your blog. Always there is something new!!!
Congratulations as always!

Anonymous said...

Cool condiment dispenser - I'm thinking mustard from the nose, relish from the ears, maybe the diced onions from the rear end would be in poor taste, though... I am cyclops! - I have the power to take a plain ole hamburger and make into more than just a meal...