“Today, in our field, there is so much talent and recognition that we are reaching a saturation point. An artist should no longer strive only for breathtaking craftsmanship; he should, instead, try to help us live better, either by dressing the wounds that are constantly being opened by society, or by offering solutions to get us out of the mess we’re in…But it’s going to be difficult and we have a lot of work to do.” - Jean 'Moebius' Giraud

Thursday, August 10, 2006

TEKKEN 5_90 minutes

Yeah, okay...this one went over by twenty minutes or so (so technically it took 110+ minutes to finish) but theres a good reason why - and I'm going to tell you.

I work with a very evil, highly manipulative, soon-to-be Alzhiemers ridden (not to mention, vastly talented) person who annoyingly kept suggesting edits to the picture as I first started it. Some of the suggestions I had to incorporate as they seemed a natural fit (i.e.: Yoshimitsu spinning his blades for that helicopter effect in order to help with the composition), but more often than not they really didn't help at all. Case in point, Anna Williams - the broad sticking her foot towards camera. This was originally supposed to be Xiaoyu until I was reminded how much I hated that character. And instead of just letting me erase the previous character, replace it with the new and leaving at that, I was given mandate to put Xiaoyu dead under a fighting panda bear. I had to get reference for Anna's costume and the panda, repose/compose them and the next thing you know - it's ninety minutes later.

And yes, I could have said 'no' and just continued with my business, but mandates that come with visual reference drawn by the demon-seed was difficult to turn away.

Behold...

Notice the 'X's representing Xiaoyu's untimely state accompanied by the protruding tongue. It's this attention to detail that I didn't have the heart to turn down. Enjoy.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

great work man!

Frank F

Lauren said...

Let me tell you what's missing. Two words: Eddy F-ing Dance! Okay, so that's three words. But you get the point. But whoever did that Panda and Xiaoyu drawing is GENIUS!!!!! (wink, wink)

Chris Sims said...

Are you a fan of Tekken, Eric? If so whose your favorite character(s)? I'm diggin Lee Chaolan and Bryan Fury.

Anonymous said...

well, it seems to me that the drawing "by the demon-seed" is a lot clearer than how it turned out in your drawing...oh well, i guess that demon-seed really is a genius, and a fantastic artist...

(now i don't have to live on the back porch in a box anymore, right lauren?)
elaine

Eric Komans said...

That's Jin Kazama by Yoshi's crotch right?

<_< I'm cosplaying him next year at Wizard World Chicago.