“Today, in our field, there is so much talent and recognition that we are reaching a saturation point. An artist should no longer strive only for breathtaking craftsmanship; he should, instead, try to help us live better, either by dressing the wounds that are constantly being opened by society, or by offering solutions to get us out of the mess we’re in…But it’s going to be difficult and we have a lot of work to do.” - Jean 'Moebius' Giraud

Wednesday, August 02, 2006

GREYSKULL_90 minutes

To the fans of this cartoon, have you ever noticed that when our all-too feminine prince turns into the burly, 'punch-him-til-he-submits' hero, he also gets a tan? I guess that sword's good for figthin' evil and not harmful UV rays.

Also, wasn't the He-Man line of toys just Mattel's way of repackaging their failed attempts at acquiring the Conan the Barbarian liscense? I think I read that somewhere before. I don't know if it's true or not. Hah! Suck on that Robert E. Howard - you gave up what could argueably be *the* most successful line of toys generated by a overly preachy cartoon for nothin'! Hah!...huh? Yeah, sure I know Conan's *still* relevant and He-Man totally isn't - but that's not the point! The point is... well, the point is... yo' momma, that's what.

"Fabulous secret powers were revealed to me, the day I held my sword aloft and said, "By the power of Grayskull! I have the power!"

15 comments:

Owen said...

I saw it and was like "wicked!" and then i saw they we're on a skull and upgraded it to a "WIICKED!!"

MELLON said...

do you remember the cartoon videos that they used to sell that were just single frames with one or two elements that moved and a lot of bad exposition?

anyway, great drawing.

-Kevin

Chris Sims said...

BATTLECAT ROCKS!!!

This is a great image Eric! I can't wait to look through the stuff you're bringing with you toi the Chi. I'm definitely picking up one of those sketchbooks. You might as well sign them for me right now.

Alan Cichela said...

You already it thought about drawing some time the Calvin and Hobbes?

Mat said...

More and more beautiful!! Aren't you fed up listening to people who love your work sooo much? ;) Great artwork, congratulations!

potato farm girl said...

It's sad, I can't think of He-man anymore without that four non-blondes song popping up. I like how they are hanging out ontop of a GIANT skull.

Lauren said...

Yo Momma? The hypocrisy is overwhelming.

Alden V said...

that is AWESOME. I love the details on the tiger.ho

roque said...

Dude...you have the power. (When you say 90 minutes do you mean 90 earth minutes?>

Sam Nielson said...

I used to love He-man as a kid. I might start liking it again if it looked like this.

trialsze said...

Man I am just such a huge fan. You have mad skills. The he man is off the chain.

madmounty said...

your stuff is realy impressive. please tell me if you mind but im going to add you to my links.

Mark said...

What I always liked was the moralizing at the end. After 20 minutes of beating people up and glorifying violence, He-Man and his annoying sidekick, y'know, the talking hat/Jawa rip-off guy, would look directly at the viewer and say some trite shit about not playing with matches or something.

The Big Red One said...

Kick ass. Doesn't it make you nostalgic for all those long days and nights we spent drawing He-Man (and all his fabulous secret powers) in Mike Young's basement?

Err, I like big breasts.

animationGiant said...

Just discovered your blog! You have lots of awesome stuff! I am impressed that you are able to pull off just quality work in 90 min. I think I should do something like that to spice things up. Thanks for the inspiration